Manchester Wolves Make Roster Change; Take On The Pioneers On Saturday Night
MANCHESTER, NH-The Manchester Wolves shored up their defensive line on Thursday when another star player from Head Coach Danton Barto's former arenafootball2 championship team was added to the current roster.
Defensive end Chris Eggleston (6'4, 285 lbs.) was assigned to the Wolves by the af2 league office. According to league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
To make room on the roster, rookie defensive end Emmanuel Plummer, who saw limited playing time in one game this season, was waived.
Eggleston played for Barto in Memphis when the Xplorers won the ArenaCup. Just last week the quarterback from that team, Brian Jones, joined the Wolves and played extremely well in the Wolves loss to division rival Albany on Friday night. Both Jones and Eggleston also played for Barto with the Las Vegas Gladiators of the Arena Football League last season and they are completely comfortable with their head coach's system on both sides of the ball.
A third player from the 2005 champion Xplorers, defensive back Dahnel Singfield, has started all three of the Wolves games this season but will sit out Saturday night against the East Division-leading Pioneers in Wilkes-Barre Scranton with a separated shoulder. Singfield is expected to return to action as early as next week.
The Wolves (1-2) take on a tough Pioneers (3-1) team that made it all the way to the ArenaCup game last year before falling 66-73 to the Tulsa Talons and is currently ranked fourth in the af2 weekly coaches poll. Although quarterback Ryan Vena, the af2 Schutt Offensive Player of the Year, moved up to the AFL this season, he has returned to the Pioneers and remains red-hot.
"They are a good football team who came up with a big win against Peoria last week," said Barto. "They are an explosive offensive team and we've got our work cut out for us."
The Wolves game can be heard on WFEA Radio 1370 AM and seen over the internet at NIFTYtv.com without charge. Kickoff from Casey Plaza at the Wachovia Arena in Wilkes-Barre is 7:30 p.m. on Saturday.
For more information or tickets to any of the Wolves remaining home games this season visit www.manchesterwolves.com or call 603-627-9653.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 24, 2008
- Tailgate Party On May 4th To Benefit Elliot Hospital Pediatric Emergency Department - Manchester Wolves
- Hair Today and Gone Tomorrow - Louisville Fire
- Manchester Wolves Make Roster Change; Take On The Pioneers On Saturday Night - Manchester Wolves
- May 31st Game Time Changed - Spokane Shock
- Meet Your Peoria Pirate Players While You Dine - Peoria Pirates
- Burn Welcome Camp Rainbow Gold To Game On Saturday - Boise Burn
- 'Stormers Aim to Make it Two in a Row Saturday - Iowa Barnstormers
- Thunder Add some Lightning - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Second Half Comeback Gives Arkansas First Win of Season - Arkansas Diamonds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.