Diamonds Win Game In The Last Minute 26-23
The Arkansas Diamonds stole a victory from the Abilene Ruff Riders when quarterback Brian Jones scored a touchdown with 20 seconds left in the game.
The struggles on offense continued for the Arkansas Diamonds, even with a new quarterback, but the play of the league's best defense and kicker Brian Umstead kept them close in a game that threatened to get away in the fourth quarter.
New quarterback Brian Jones struggled all night with timing and rhythm having only joined the team on Thursday. However, with the game on the line, Jones played like the former Arena Cup champion he is by completing a 40 yard pass on the first play of the final drive and plowing into the end zone a few seconds later to give the Diamonds the lead. A. J. Harris provided the two point version to give the Diamonds the 26-23 lead.
The Ruff Riders had the game in hand with a little under a minute left, but chose to go for the touchdown rather than run out the clock giving the Diamonds another chance. Arkansas took over at their five yard line, where Jones completed his first pass of the drive. Two plays later he crossed the goal line.
The defense continued to show why they lead the league in defense holding the Ruff Riders to 23 points and setting up the first 10 points for the Diamonds. Kenneth Fontenette picked off two passes in the first quarter, returning one for a touchdown and the other deep in to Abilene territory setting up an Umstead field goal. The defense also came up with a safety.
Umstead hit three field goals for the Diamonds only failing to connect when two of his attempts hit the ceiling.
The win gives the Diamonds a 6-1 record heading to a two game home series starting on May 1 in Verizon Arena.
• Discuss this story on the Indoor Football League message board...
Indoor Football League Stories from April 24, 2010
- Revolution Topples Maniacs 54-45 to move to 6-1 - Richmond Revolution
- Chicago Slaughter Demolish Kent Predators 71-29 At Sears Centre - Chicago Slaughter
- Second Half Surge Leads To Win For San Angelo Over Roughnecks, 60-27 - West Texas Roughnecks
- Venom Sweep Series Versus Ice - Amarillo Venom
- Diamonds Win Game In The Last Minute 26-23 - Arkansas Diamonds
- ThunderHawks Claim First Ifl Road Victory - West Michigan Thunderhawks
- Spartans Nipped In Last Minute By ThunderHawks - La Crosse Spartans
- Chicago Slaughter Bolster Roster Heading Into Tonight's Match-Up - Chicago Slaughter
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.