Sea Dogs Mascot Splash Announces His Retirement
SAINT JOHN, NB --- Saint John Sea Dogs President Wayne Long announced today that team mascot Splash has tendered his resignation to the organization. Splash will continue to appear at Sea Dogs home games throughout the duration of the President's Cup Playoffs, but will then abandon his current post in favour of spending more time with his family and pursuing his many hobbies.
"Splash has been a first-rate mascot for us these last four years," said a teary-eyed Long after learning of Splash's decision. "We're sad to see him go but we respect his decision and wish him all the best in all of his future endeavors."
Since joining the Sea Dogs in 2005, Splash has made countless appearances throughout south western New Brunswick and has endeared himself to Saint John hockey fans of all ages. The energetic and beloved mascot has been a mainstay at Sea Dogs home games since the team's inaugural match four years ago, and has been a popular figure in the community throughout his tenure with the team. After having accrued accolades and adoration galore, Splash is now looking forward to enjoying a more subdued, tranquil life in the Bay of Fundy.
The search for a new Sea Dogs mascot will begin immediately upon the conclusion of the QMJHL post-season. An exciting contest to determine the new character's name will be held this summer, with Sea Dogs fans being afforded the opportunity to offer their best suggestions for the team mascot's moniker.
The Sea Dogs hit the ice this evening at 7pm for Game Three of their opening round playoff series versus the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. Game Four of the best-of-seven Atlantic Division showdown goes tomorrow night, also beginning at 7pm. Cape Breton leads the series 2-0 entering tonight's contest.
Tickets to both Game Three and Game Four are available by calling the Harbour Station Box Office at (506) 657-1234.
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2009
- Drummondville Defeats Lewiston, 7-2 - Lewiston MAINEiacs
- Juniors win 4-1, lead series 2-1 - Montreal Juniors
- Screaming Eagles defeat Sea Dogs in 8-3 in game three - Saint John Sea Dogs
- MAINEiacs Will Stay in Lewiston - Lewiston MAINEiacs
- Wildcats tickets for J. Louis Levesque ready for pick-up - Moncton Wildcats
- Game Three Tonight - P.E.I. Rocket
- Sea Dogs Mascot Splash Announces His Retirement - Saint John Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saint John Sea Dogs Stories
- April Update: Humboldt Broncos; Radim Salda NHL Draft; Sea Dogs Alumni Break Record
- In Support of the Humboldt Broncos
- Sea Dogs Awarded Second Overall Pick in 2018 QMJHL Entry Draf
- Salda Named to QMJHL Rookie All-Star Team
- QMJHL Draft Lottery Takes Place Thursday