Saskatchewan to Play All 14 Teams During 2023/24 NLL Season
SASKATOON - The National Lacrosse League has shifted its scheduling for the 2023/24 season.
Saskatchewan will open the season on December 1st in Halifax, before battling every team in the NLL during the new campaign, a part of the league's attempt to balance the schedules.
Another change lacrosse fans will see is the launch of one unified division, meaning east and west conferences will cease to exist, allowing the top eight teams to make the playoffs.
"The revamped standings, schedule and playoff formats provide a streamlined, easy-to-follow, and fiercely competitive method of determining our playoff teams and, ultimately, our champion," said Brett Frood, NLL Commissioner. "This also affords us flexibility in matching up teams to sustain lasting rivalries, create new ones, and maximize fan and partner engagement across the league."
The Rush schedule is highlighted by key matchups including the hope opener on December 9th against Connor Fields and the Rochester Knighthawks, the return of Marshall Powless and the Albany FireWolves on New Years Eve, Ryan Dilks and the Vancouver Warriors on January 20th, Jeff Teat's New York RipTide are in town on March 16th, San Diego and Kyle Rubisch in April and the season finale, Mark Matthews, Chris Corbeil and the Toronto Rock on April 20th.
In addition to the Unified Standings model, notable features of the transition include:
Scheduling will be rooted in competitive equitability and schedule parity, with each team playing every other team once, plus four additional "flex" games that preserve established rivalries and fan interest, showcase games with impactful storylines, and highlight star player matchups.
The schedule and standings format allows the NLL to definitively showcase its continental reach as a truly North American league; for example, San Diego and Vancouver competing against Toronto and New York for regular season superiority.
Every single game, every weekend, will have playoff atmosphere and implications on the path to the Championship, while guaranteeing that the best eight teams at the end of the regular season have an opportunity to win the NLL Cup.
Each fan base in every city will have the opportunity to see every team and player visit their home arena at least once every other year.
The "NLL March to May" playoff format will feature the regular season #1 seed vs. #8; #2 vs. #7; #3 vs. #6; and #4 vs. #5 in the Quarterfinals, with a "bracket" style advance through to the NLL Finals. The Quarterfinal round will be single elimination. The Semi-finals and Finals will continue to be best-of-three.
NLL Faceoff Weekend is set for December 1-2, 2023. Buffalo will begin its defense of its 2022-23 NLL title on Saturday, Dec. 9 at Albany, then will raise its Championship banner at home on Dec. 16.
For the third consecutive year, every NLL game will be distributed on ESPN+ and TSN+. The schedule of national broadcast games on TSN and ESPN linear networks will be announced soon.
Season tickets are on sale now and single game tickets will go on sale later in October.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from September 26, 2023
- Vancouver Warriors Get Ready for the Weekends with 2023.24 Regular Season Schedule Release - Vancouver Warriors
- Bandits Announce 2023-24 Schedule - Buffalo Bandits
- Thunderbirds Announce 2023-24 Season Schedule - Halifax Thunderbirds
- Knighthawks Announce 2023-24 Schedule - Rochester Knighthawks
- 2023-24 Georgia Swarm Schedule Set - Georgia Swarm
- Philadelphia Wings Announce 2023-2024 Season Schedule - Philadelphia Wings
- Albany FireWolves Announce 2023-24 Regular Season Schedule - Albany FireWolves
- The 2023-24 Regular Season Schedule Is Here - Albany FireWolves
- NLL Adopts Unified Standings Format and Updated Playoff Structure for 2023-24 - NLL
- Saskatchewan to Play All 14 Teams During 2023/24 NLL Season - Saskatchewan Rush
- Toronto Rock 2023-24 Schedule Announced - Toronto Rock
- Roughnecks Announce 2023-24 Season Schedule - Calgary Roughnecks
- San Diego Seals Announce 2023-2024 Regular Season Schedule - San Diego Seals
- Colorado Mammoth Announces 2023-24 NLL Schedule - Colorado Mammoth
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.