Saskatchewan Roughriders Celebrate Inaugural 13th Fan of Honour Recipients
It is widely known that the Saskatchewan Roughrider Football Club has an incredible fan base known as Rider Nation and the 13th Fan of Honour award was created to recognize fans who truly embody what it means to be a member of Rider Nation. Fans were reviewed and measured not only by having a passion and devotion to the Club, but also by making contributions as role models amongst fans. While experiencing memorable moments of their own, they also actively help other members of Rider Nation create their own memories that they will never forget. This year's inaugural recipients have truly set the bar and were recognized at the game this past Saturday for their dedication to the team.
"We are honoured to have passionate fans who support us through all the highs and lows that come with professional football. Our fan base is truly what makes the Saskatchewan Roughriders special and we are excited to recognize the fans who go above and beyond," said Craig Reynolds, President and CEO of the Saskatchewan Roughrider Football Club.
"We are thrilled to honour the first ever very deserving recipients of the 13th Fan of Honour award."
Connie Dobson has childhood memories growing up with vacations spent travelling 12 hours each way for Riders games. Even while living in Edmonton, she never missed a home game.
Some may know her from her journey as the #travellingriderfan and other friends and family know her as Auntie Connie who always gives Rider gear for every gift or milestone. The Riders are even part of Connie's love story - she met her fiancé at a Rider game and has the dream to have her wedding inside Mosaic Stadium. Connie is a true Champion of the Riders and a deserving inductee into the 13th Fan of Honour.
Ron Taylor has been a fan of the Riders since 1960. He knew he was in it for the long haul after receiving his first sports trading card - Bob Ptacek, a former Saskatchewan Roughrider's quarterback from 1960-65. He has not only been to 32 Grey Cups but has also watched every Rider championship win in-person, except for 1966.
Ron also truly embodies what Rider Pride means across the world. While living in Alberta, Ron started the Sask Social club and was part of bringing 300 fans to each Rider game in Calgary during the 1980's. His dedication knows no limits having driven over 90,000 kilometers to attend games across Canada and has proudly represented Rider Nation in 6 continents on his travels.
As we look forward to celebrating Rider Nation's best for years to come through the 13th Fan of Honour award, Ron explained the essence in an incredible way: "The essence of Rider Pride, the discovery of a common place where we all live & die with the game results and bleed green 'til there is no juice left in the tank."
If you know someone who is the ultimate Rider fan, submit your nomination for next year's 13th Fan of Honuor.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from October 13, 2021
- Alouettes Ink Three - Montreal Alouettes
- RedBlacks Announce Transactions - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Saskatchewan Roughriders Celebrate Inaugural 13th Fan of Honour Recipients - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Argos LB Dexter Mccoil Sr. Named Top Performer for Week 10 vs. Hamilton - Toronto Argonauts
- Andrew Harris Named CFL Top Performer for Week 10 - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Harris, McCoil Sr. and Carey named Top Performers - CFL
- Big Game Carries Ka'Deem to CFL Award - Calgary Stampeders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saskatchewan Roughriders Stories
- Saskatchewan Roughriders Celebrate Inaugural 13th Fan of Honour Recipients
- Roughriders Add Global Kicker and American Linebacker
- Saskatchewan Roughrider Foundation Announces 50/50 Funding for Eight Worthy Recipients
- Roughriders Sign CFL All-Star Receiver Duke Williams
- Saskatchewan Roughriders Pledge Increased Commitment to Truth and Reconciliation