Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire James Southerland
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. - The Santa Cruz Warriors have acquired forward James Southerland from the NBA D-League available player pool, the team announced today. In a related roster move, the Warriors waived Ferrakohn Hall and Carl Ona-Embo.
Southerland, (6-8, 221-lb) went undrafted in the 2013 NBA draft, and later joined the Philadelphia 76ers for the Orlando Summer League and the Golden State Warriors for the Las Vegas Summer League. During the 2013-14 NBA season, he appeared in one regular season game with the Charlotte Bobcats before being acquired by the Los Angeles D-Fenders. Southerland averaged 14.7 points and 6.5 rebounds per game for the D-Fenders before receiving an NBA Call-Up to the New Orleans Pelicans, where he remained for the rest of the 2013-14 season.
During the 2014-15 season, Southerland played for Limoges CSP of France. He continued his overseas career during the 2015-16 season with Vanoli Cremona of Italy and Mitteldeutscher BC of the Basketball Bundesliga for the rest of the season. In 15 games with Mitteldeutscher BC, Southerland led the team in scoring with 13.5 points per game, averaged 4.5 rebounds, and shot 40.4% from three while playing 26.6 minutes per game.
In July 2016, Southerland joined the Washington Wizards for the 2016 NBA Summer League and later returned to Europe to play for the German club s.Oliver W-rzburg.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 11, 2016
- Big Nights from Benson, White Keep Skyforce Perfect at Home - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire James Southerland - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Ivica Zubac Recalled from Los Angeles D-Fenders - Los Angeles D-Fenders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Golden State Warriors Assign Center Damian Jones to Santa Cruz
- Warriors Secure Wire-To-Wire Win against Northern Arizona Suns, 138-126
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Forward Kevin Young
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Kevin Young off Waivers
- Chris Boucher Joins Golden State Warriors as Part of Two-Way Contract