San Antonio FC Re-Signs Defender Kai Greene
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC has re-signed defender Kai Greene for the 2020 USL Championship season pending league and federation approval, the team announced today. Per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"As a staff, we are excited to welcome back Kai Greene for 2020," said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. "Kai is a versatile defender who leads by example and excels in one-v-one situations. As a consistent performer among league leaders in minutes played, Kai is a great asset on the field and fully invested in our club and community."
Greene played every minute of all 34 league matches with San Antonio last season, setting the club's single-season minutes record with 3,060 after surpassing the previous record of 2,870 set by Darnell King in 2018. In addition, Greene's 64 tackles won ranked first in the Western Conference and second in the USL Championship in 2019, marking the second time Greene has finished second in the league in tackles won (also, 2017 - 73 tackles). He also led SAFC in interceptions (48), tackles (103), aerial duels (156) and aerial duels won (102). The defender made the second-most passes on the club last season (1,726) while recording an 83.3 percent passing accuracy. Greene added one assist and 14 key passes from his defensive position.
The 25-year-old joined SAFC prior to the 2019 season after previously playing for rivals RGV FC from 2016-18. Overall in his professional career, Greene has played in 102 USL Championship matches, tallying 8,431 minutes of action.
"I'm glad to be back in San Antonio," said Greene. "We have some unfinished business to take care of and, we want to make the playoffs and fight for a championship. I'm thankful Alen believes in and trusts in me and I can't wait to get the season started."
Prior to his professional career, the defender played four years of Division 1 collegiate soccer at Seton Hall University from 2011-2014, scoring nine goals and recording six assists for the Pirates including a career-best five goals during his senior year. Greene earned training opportunities in Europe with German clubs Borussia Neunkirchen and SV Elversberg in 2015 after his time in college. The New Jersey native then signed his first professional contract with RGV FC ahead of the club's inaugural season in March 2016.
San Antonio FC is currently preparing for the upcoming USL Championship season, and fans can purchase 2020 season tickets by calling or texting the SAFC sales office at 210-444-5657 or by visiting SanAntonioFC.com. Supporters can also follow the club by liking San Antonio FC on Facebook (@SAFCUSL), as well as following the team on Twitter (@SanAntonioFC) and Instagram (@sanantoniofc).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 13, 2020
- Reno Signs Former Collegiate Striker to 2020 Roster - Reno 1868 FC
- FC Tulsa Signs Two More with Nigeria National Team Experience - FC Tulsa
- El Paso Locomotive Renews Local Standout, Louis "Chapa" Herrera's Contract for the 2020 Season - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Phoenix Rising Signs Forward Rufat Dadashov - Phoenix Rising FC
- San Antonio FC Re-Signs Defender Kai Greene - San Antonio FC
- At Holiday Gathering, Season Ticket Holders Celebrated Their 2020 Vision - Orange County SC
- Real Monarchs Signs Midfielder Devin Vega - Real Monarchs SLC
- Three Impressive Midfielders Added to SD Loyal SC's Growing Roster - San Diego Loyal
- Loudoun United FC Acquire Jake Dengler and Michael Gamble Ahead of 2020 USL Championship Season - Loudoun United
- 2020 Rio Grande Valley FC Tryouts Set - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Atlanta United 2 Signs Daniel Steedman - Atlanta United 2
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Mitchell Taintor
- San Antonio FC Puts in Strong Performace in 2-3 Loss to FC Dallas
- San Antonio FC Adds Goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair on Loan from Minnesota United
- San Antonio FC Adds Defender Callum Montgomery on Loan from FC Dallas
- San Antonio FC Injury Update