San Antonio FC Defeats Rivals Austin Bold FC 3-0 at Toyota Field
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (5-8-5) beat Austin Bold FC (7-6-5) 3-0 at Toyota Field on Wednesday night. Goals from Billy Forbes, Cristian Parano, and a Bold own goal earned the Alamo City club three points at home in front of 7,514 fans to extend their unbeaten run at home to nine matches in all competitions.
"I'm proud of the players," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "Over the past few weeks their commitment, dedication and passion to play for this club (has been great), and it was in due time to see a performance like tonight. I'm very proud of everybody; staff, players, front office-- everybody. We just have to keep moving forward."
SAFC opened the scoring in the eighth minute when forward Bradford Jamieson IV dribbled up the right flank and sent a low cross into the box, which deflected off defender Amobi Okugo into the visitors' goal to give the hosts the 1-0 lead.
The Alamo City club doubled their early in the second half after Jamieson IV found midfielder Billy Forbes at the top of the box, from where the Turks and Caicos native shot with a right-footed curler to beat goalkeeper Diego Restrepo. The goal marked Forbes' second of the season and Jamieson IV's first assist for the club.
San Antonio FC extended their lead yet again in the 70th minute when Forbes found midfielder Cristian Parano inside the box with a pass. The Argentinian created space off the dribble and slotted the ball across the mouth of goal to make it 3-0. The goal marked Parano's second for the club and Forbes' second assist of the campaign.
SAFC goalkeeper Matthew Cardone recorded his fifth clean sheet of the season, recording four saves on the night. Defenders Eby Ackon, Kai Greene, Josh Yaro combined for 13 tackles, 16 clearances, and five interceptions to keep the Bold scoreless.
San Antonio FC will return to action on Saturday, July 13 as the club hosts 2018-19 English Premier League club Cardiff City FC at Toyota Field at 7:30 p.m. in an international exhibition match.
SAFC: 1-0, Amobi Okugo (own goal) 8'
SAFC: 2-0, Billy Forbes (Bradford Jamieson IV assist) 50'
SAFC: 3-0, Cristian Parano (Billy Forbes assist) 70'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Ethan Bryant) 41'
ABFC: Yellow Card (Xavier Baez) 45'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Jose Gallegos) 64'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Eby Ackon) 67'
ABFC: Yellow Card (Sonny Guadarrama) 76'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Kai Greene) 90'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Kai Greene, Eby Ackon, Joshua Yaro; M: Pecka (c) (Michael Lahoud 79'), Jose Gallegos (Carson Price 75') Cristian Parano, Ethan Bryant F: Ever Guzman (Walter Restrepo 62'), Billy Forbes, Bradford Jamieson IV
Substitutions Not Used: Jonathan Viscosi, Johnny Fenwick, Pascal Eboussi
San Antonio FC defeated rivals Austin FC 3-0 at Toyota Field...the club extended its home unbeaten run to eight games in league play and nine matches in all competitions...SAFC is 5-1-4 at Toyota Field this season and is 3-1-2 when scoring first in league matches
San Antonio FC earned its first win in the Copa Tejas against a rival Texas team...with the win tonight and the draw against El Paso last Wednesday, SAFC sits on four points in the regional cup...the win also tied the largest of the season for SAFC (also 4/26 vs. TAC)
SAFC recorded 10 shots on target, which is the most in a single match this season for the club and tied for the most in team history (also 8/29/18 at RGV; 4/30/16 vs. Tulsa)...the previous high in 2019 was eight on 5/18 vs. the Tulsa Roughnecks
SAFC forward Billy Forbes was named the SWBC Man of the Match after his performance against Austin...Forbes recorded one goal, one assist, took five shots and recorded two key passes...Forbes also made a game-high 11 successful dribbles, giving him 37 on the season - third best on the team
SAFC midfielder Cristian Parano scored his second goal of the season and second in three matches...Parano added nine successful dribbles, two shots on target and one key pass...Parano also recorded the most duels (21), winning 66.7 percent of them
San Antonio FC goalkeeper Matthew Cardone and the SAFC defense recorded their fifth clean sheet of the season...Cardone made four saves, one claim and one punch while defender Eby Ackon added five tackles, three clearances, one interception and 10 possessions gained
SAFC defenders Kai Greene and Josh Yaro also contributed to the clean sheet...Greene recorded game-highs in tackles (six) and clearances (eight), while Yaro added five clearances, three interceptions and one block
San Antonio FC forward Bradford Jamieson IV forced an own goal from Austin to open the scoring in the match...Jamieson IV also recorded an assist, marking his first of the season
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 3, 2019
- Reno Smacks Rio Grande Valley FC for Third Straight Win - Reno 1868 FC
- RGV FC Fall 0-4 to Reno 1868 FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Defeats Rivals Austin Bold FC 3-0 at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Men in Blazers Praise Nashville as Up-And-Coming Soccer Market - Nashville SC
- Tacoma Defiance Midfielder Azriel Gonzalez Undergoes Successful Surgery - Tacoma Defiance
- Nashville's Global Beat Apparent at Plaza Mariachi for Nashville SC Watch Party - Nashville SC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 18 - USL
- Indy Eleven Supporting Three Area Watch Parties on Sunday to Rally Behind U.S. Women's National Team - Indy Eleven
- El Paso Locomotive FC Acquire Defender Moses Makinde by Way of Trade with Tulsa FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Match Preview vs. L.A. Galaxy II - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Energy FC to Host No-Cost Outdoor, Community Watch Party for World Cup Final - OKC Energy FC
- Nashville SC Loans Vinnie Vermeer to Las Vegas Lights FC - Nashville SC
- Fury FC Adds Two Local Teenagers to Roster - Ottawa Fury FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Cristian Parano Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- San Antonio FC Earns Crucial 3-1 Win at Home to OKC Energy FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts OKC Energy FC in Crucial Playoff Push Matchup
- San Antonio FC Signs Forward Tony Taylor
- San Antonio FC Narrowly Falls 0-1 to Phoenix Rising FC Despite Impressive Performance