Reno Smacks Rio Grande Valley FC for Third Straight Win
RENO, Nev. - Reno 1868 FC dominated Rio Grande Valley Fc tonight to win its third straight match 4-0. Leading the way for the boys in blue were midfielder Sam Gleadle and goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski. Gleadle recorded two goals and assist, while Marcinkowski recorded his second straight shutout. The win caps a sweep of three games in seven days, securing the club's second place position in the USL Western Conference. Reno moves to 9-4-5 with 32 points.
"It was a good performance, a lot of goals and a shutout," said head coach Ian Russell. "I knew coming in that we had a really deep team, and they're stepping up."
Reno would kick things off with Gleadle earning his third goal of the season in the 23rd minute. Duke Lacroix set it up for his third assist on the season, and marked his second consecutive game with an assist.
"He came in in preseason and I said "Sam you have all the physical tools, but you just have to get consistent,'" said Russell. "He's done really well this year."
Gleadle's second goal of the half came in the 45th minute, with Gilbert Fuentes setting him up. With the goal, Gleadle becomes just the second person to score twice in a half for Reno this season, joining Corey Hertzog. Gleadle also becomes the third to score twice in an entire game, joining Hertzog and Brian Brown, who accomplished the feat twice.
The momentum from Gleadle's second goal would carry on early in the second, as the team scored two goals in the first six minute after the break. Gleadle would assist on the first goal, putting the ball right in front of the goal for an easy tap in by Corey Hertzog. The goal ties Hertzog with Brown for the team lead in goals with eight.
"it feels really good, all the guys have been working really hard," said Gleadle. "Credit to the guys getting the balls to me, I was lucky enough to finish them."
The assist makes Gleadle the first to score two goals and record an assist in a single game for Reno this season.
In the 51st minute, Zach Carroll would tally his first goal on the year. Carroll entered the match with just five shots on the season, and had just two goals all of last season. Assisting on the goal was Seth Casiple, bringing his season total to four, second on the team behind Brown's five.
The boys in blue will have a break until their next USL Championship match on Wednesday, July 17 at OKC Energy FC. Reno will be at home before then however, with an international friendly against Liga MX's Club America U20's on Friday, April 12. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. PT, and tickets are available at reno1868fc.com or the Greater Nevada Field ticket office.
Reno 1868 FC Starting XI
GK (18) JT Marcinkoswki, D (2) Emrah Klimenta, D (5) Zach Carroll ©, D (11) Duke Lacroix, D (29) Jacob Akanyirige, M (84) Seth Casiple, M (19) Kevin Partida, M (24) Gilbert Fuentes, M (23) Sam Gleadle, F (21) Corey Hertzog, F (44) Cade Cowell
GK (25) Damion Lewis, D (3) Benjamin Galindo Cruz, F (17) Aidan Apodaca, F (9) Danny Musovski, M (10) Lindo Mfeka, M (97) Sergio Rivas, M (8) Will Seymore
45' Sergio Rivas Ã Jacob Akanyirige
61' Danny Musovski Ã Cade Cowell
70' Lindo Mfeka Ã Gilbert Fuentes
Sam Gleadle 23'
Sam Gleadle 45'
Corey Hertzog 48'
Zach Carroll 51'
Duke Lacroix 23'
Gilbert Fuentes 45'
Sam Gleadle 48'
Seth Casiple 51'
Jacob Akanyirige 32'
Kevin Partida 83'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 3, 2019
- Reno Smacks Rio Grande Valley FC for Third Straight Win - Reno 1868 FC
- RGV FC Fall 0-4 to Reno 1868 FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Defeats Rivals Austin Bold FC 3-0 at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Men in Blazers Praise Nashville as Up-And-Coming Soccer Market - Nashville SC
- Tacoma Defiance Midfielder Azriel Gonzalez Undergoes Successful Surgery - Tacoma Defiance
- Nashville's Global Beat Apparent at Plaza Mariachi for Nashville SC Watch Party - Nashville SC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 18 - USL
- Indy Eleven Supporting Three Area Watch Parties on Sunday to Rally Behind U.S. Women's National Team - Indy Eleven
- El Paso Locomotive FC Acquire Defender Moses Makinde by Way of Trade with Tulsa FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Match Preview vs. L.A. Galaxy II - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Energy FC to Host No-Cost Outdoor, Community Watch Party for World Cup Final - OKC Energy FC
- Nashville SC Loans Vinnie Vermeer to Las Vegas Lights FC - Nashville SC
- Fury FC Adds Two Local Teenagers to Roster - Ottawa Fury FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.