RGV FC Fall 0-4 to Reno 1868 FC
EDINBURG, Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC (5-8-4, 19 pts.) fall to Reno 1868 FC (9-4-5, 32 pts.) on Wednesday night, 0-4, at Greater Nevada Field. Tonight marks the second consecutive loss for the Toros.
Reno opened the match with a goal in the 23rd minute when Sam Gleadle took the Toros defensive line and sent a right footed strike to the top right corner, 0-1. Gleadle completed a brace when he received a through ball by Gilbert Fuentes. He then slipped the ball past Nico Corti to the bottom left corner, 0-2.
Carlos Small was the first player to attack up front by RGV FC in the 11th minute. Nico Lemoine sent a pass inside the box to Small where he drilled straight to the goalkeeper. Corti had a dangerous attack when Corey Hertzog headed the ball from the center of the box following a cross in the 19th minute. Jesus Enriquez had an attempt in the 25th minute when he sent a right footed shot from the left side of the box but missed to the right.
In the 33rd minute, Camilo Monroy took a right footed shot from a long range, but the shot was saved in the bottom left corner of the goal. Kyle Adams blocked a dangerous attempt by Hertzog when he took a shot from the center of the box, but Adams managed to deflect it out in the 35th minute.
The second half kicked off in favor for the 1868. In the 48th minute, Gleadle sent a cross inside the box where Hertzog tapped the ball to the bottom left corner past Corti, 0-3. Three minutes later, Seth Casiple sent a cross following a corner where Zach Carroll took a left footed shot from the center of the box to the center of the goal, 0-4.
In the 68th minute, Romilio Hernandez headed the ball from the six-yard box but missed to the right side of the goal following a set piece by Isidro Martinez. The Toros continued to attempt to attack Reno. In the 76th minute, Martinez took a corner where Adams was able to head the ball but missed to the right.
Overall, RGV FC ended the night with seven total shots, two on target with 77.4 percent passing accuracy. Although Corti gave up four goals, he totaled five saves with one clearance tonight. Carlos Viveros made his debut tonight and totaled three tackles, two clearances and one block.
Conor Donovan totaled seven clearances, two interceptions, one tackle and one block. He also contributed one shot. Adams totaled five clearances, three interceptions, two blocks and added one shot. He also had 82.6 percent passing accuracy. Small totaled two shots and one on target.
Next for RGV FC is a three-home game stand. First, the Toros will take on Tacoma Defiance on Saturday, July 6. Kickoff will be at 7:30 p.m. CT. The match will be available on ESPN+ and Somos El Valle 5.2. Updates on the match will be provided via Twitter at @RGVFC or by following #SomosToros. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com.
Scoring Summary: RGV FC -
RNO - Gleadle 23' (Assist by Lacroix), Gleadle 45' (Assist by Fuentes), Hertzog 48' (Assist by Gleadle), Carroll 51' (Assist by Casiple).
Misconduct Summary: RGV FC - Monroy YC 65', Rodriguez YC 90'.
RNO - Akanyirige 32' YC, Partida YC 83'.
RNO - Marcinkowski, Akanyirige (Rivas 45'), Carroll, Klimenta, Lacroix, Partida, Gleadle, Casiple, Fuentes (Mfeka 71'), Hertzog, Cowell (Musovski 61').
Subs: Seymore, Lewis, Apodaca, Galindo.
Stats: Shots: 25 Shots on Goal: 9 Saves: 2 Fouls: 18 Corner Kicks: 13 Offsides: 1.
RGV FC - Corti, Adams, Donovan, Samuels, Viveros, Dunwell (Martinez 64'), Monroy (Garza 81'), Enriquez, Lemoine, Hernandez, Small (Rodriguez 45').
Subs: McCue, Coronado, Cabrera, Willis.
Stats: Shots: 7 Shots on Goal: 2 Saves: 5 Fouls: 8 Corner Kicks: 5 Offsides: 2.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 3, 2019
- Reno Smacks Rio Grande Valley FC for Third Straight Win - Reno 1868 FC
- RGV FC Fall 0-4 to Reno 1868 FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Defeats Rivals Austin Bold FC 3-0 at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Men in Blazers Praise Nashville as Up-And-Coming Soccer Market - Nashville SC
- Tacoma Defiance Midfielder Azriel Gonzalez Undergoes Successful Surgery - Tacoma Defiance
- Nashville's Global Beat Apparent at Plaza Mariachi for Nashville SC Watch Party - Nashville SC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 18 - USL
- Indy Eleven Supporting Three Area Watch Parties on Sunday to Rally Behind U.S. Women's National Team - Indy Eleven
- El Paso Locomotive FC Acquire Defender Moses Makinde by Way of Trade with Tulsa FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Match Preview vs. L.A. Galaxy II - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Energy FC to Host No-Cost Outdoor, Community Watch Party for World Cup Final - OKC Energy FC
- Nashville SC Loans Vinnie Vermeer to Las Vegas Lights FC - Nashville SC
- Fury FC Adds Two Local Teenagers to Roster - Ottawa Fury FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.