San Antonio FC Acquires Defender Mitchell Taintor from Sacramento Republic FC
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC has acquired defender Mitchell Taintor via transfer from Sacramento Republic FC pending league and federation approval, the club announced today. Per team policy, terms of the transfer were not disclosed. In addition, Taintor has signed a new multi-year contract with SAFC.
"We are ecstatic to welcome Mitchell back to the SAFC family, said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. "He is an exceptional competitor, resilient, and a constant high performer. Mitchell's on-ball ability to consistently break lines and his commitment to aggressive pressing actions fits entirely to our style of play."
The 27-year-old joined SAFC on loan from Sacramento in August of last season and made an immediate impact as the club charged through the end of the season and on to the Western Conference Finals. After joining San Antonio, Taintor started 13 matches in the regular season, compiling 1,147 minutes played and adding 12 tackles and an assist. The center-back also played every minute of all three postseason matches with SAFC. Overall, in all competitions with both San Antonio and Sacramento in 2021, Taintor made 28 appearances (24 starts), racking up 2,118 minutes played along with 25 tackles, one goal and two assists.
Taintor's first stint in the Alamo City came in 2020 after the defender joined prior to the end of preseason. While with SAFC in 2020, the defender appeared in 15 of the club's 16 regular season matches, compiling 1,470 minutes, 68 clearances, 42 aerial duels won and 23 interceptions. Taintor also played all 120 minutes of playoff competition for the team. Prior to 2020, the defender spent the previous two seasons with Sacramento. Overall, from 2018-19 with the Republic, he made 64 appearances (61 starts) between the regular season and playoffs, amassing 5,373 minutes played while adding three goals, three assists, 258 clearances and 146 duels won.
Originally drafted by Toronto FC in the third round (59th overall) of the 2016 MLS SuperDraft, Taintor signed with Toronto's USL Championship affiliate where he made 47 appearances in two seasons from 2016-17. The Connecticut native was the club captain for Toronto FC II in 2017 and scored three goals for the Canadian side over the course of his time there. Taintor attended Rutgers University and played collegiate soccer from 2012-15, earning NSCAA Second Team All-Midwest Region and Second Team All-Big Ten Conference honors.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 4, 2022
- Around the Leagues: Offseason in Full Swing with a Flurry of Transfers and Signings - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC Send Mitchell Taintor to San Antonio FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Antonio FC Acquires Defender Mitchell Taintor from Sacramento Republic FC - San Antonio FC
- Jake Davis Named Goalkeepers Coach - Hartford Athletic
- Luka Prpa Re-Signs with Hartford Athletic - Hartford Athletic
- Key Midfielder Gibson Re-Signs with LouCity - Louisville City FC
- The Miami FC Sign El Salvador International Christian Sorto on a Two-Year Deal - Miami FC
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at RGV
- San Antonio FC Signs Jordy Delem for 2022 Season
- San Antonio FC Match vs. Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Scheduled for this Saturday Postponed
- San Antonio FC Signs Ignacio Bailone for 2022 Season
- San Antonio FC Defender Mitchell Taintor Named to USL Championship Team of the Week