Salmon Kings Stay Alive with 4-0 Win
VICTORIA, BC - Wes Goldie scored twice and assisted on another goal while Julien Ellis turned aside all 28 Alaska shots in a 4-0 Victoria whitewash of the Aces Friday night before 4,656 at the Save-On Foods Memorial Centre.
The Aces still lead the best-of-seven West Division Finals three games to one and can advance to their fourth conference final in five years with a victory tomorrow night at 6:05 p.m. AT. Game Five will be broadcast live on KFQD 750 AM, with Peanut Farm Pre-Game Show coverage beginning at 5:45 p.m. If necessary, the series would return to Anchorage for Game Six Tuesday night at 7:15 p.m.
For the second straight game in the series, Alaska dug itself a 2-0 hole after the first period, falling behind when Goldie pounced on a rebound at 3:11 for his first goal of the series. Goldie assisted on a power play goal by former Ace Olivier Filion at 10:25 of the opening frame, then scored again from point blank range in front of Alaska goalie J.P. Lamoureux six minutes into the second period. Goldie and Filion had managed just one assist combined with a -7 rating in the first three games of the series, but combined for five points and a +4 Friday.
Chris St. Jacques scored his second goal in as many games off the rush with 2:21 left in the middle frame, completing the scoring and allowing Ellis to sail comfortably toward his first postseason shutout. Ellis, who had not started a games since late March, kept the Aces scoreless in the third period, which also featured Lamoureux denying Goldie's bid for a hat trick on a penalty shot. Alaska was out-shot 37-28 and went scoreless in five power play opportunities while being blanked for only the third time all season, with Victoria responsible on two of those occasions.
WEST DIVISION FINALS (all times AT):
(Aces lead best-of-7 series, 3-1)
Game 1: Alaska 3, Victoria 0
Game 2: Alaska 8, Victoria 2
Game 3: Alaska 5, Victoria 2
Game 4: Victoria 4, Alaska 0
Game 5: Tomorrow, Alaska @ Victoria 6:05
Game 6: Tuesday, Victoria @ Alaska 7:15 (if necessary)
Game 7: Wednesday, Victoria @ Alaska 7:15 (if necessary)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 1, 2009
- Salmon Kings Stay Alive with 4-0 Win - Alaska Aces
- Salmon Kings Bounce Back - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Salmon Kings' Game Five Tickets On Sale - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Stingrays Take Series Lead on 4-3 Win Over Everblades - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Finish Off Elmira, 2-0 -- Head To Conference Finals - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Blades come-back falls short; Rays win 4-3 - Florida Everblades
- Bombers Host Second Equipment and Merchandise Sale - Dayton Bombers
- Alaska's Stefanishion Suspended One Game, Fined - Alaska Aces
- Wranglers Kelly Cup Daily - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Kelly Cup Quest - South Carolina Stingrays
- Chiefs Rank High In Season Ticket Renewals - Johnstown Chiefs
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Thunder take 2-1 series lead on Huddy's three points, Van Buskirk's 38 saves - Stockton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.