Salmon Kings Bounce Back
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Salmon Kings and Alaska Aces continued their West Division Final with Game 4 at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre in Victoria. Goaltender Julien Ellis started in net for the Salmon Kings, while the Aces countered with Jean-Philippe Lamoreux.
The Salmon Kings controlled the majority of the early play and were rewarded for their efforts just 3:11 into the game. Defenseman Tim Wedderburn fired a slow point shot that hit the post behind Lamoreux's glove and fell into the crease. On the goal-mouth scramble, Captain Wes Goldie buried the puck into an open net. The goal was the second of the 2009 playoffs for Goldie. The Salmon Kings kept up the pressure on the Aces, and doubled their lead on the power play halfway through the period. At 10:25, Olivier Filion buried a rebound from a Gary Gladue shot that Lamoreux managed to kick to the side with his left pad. Filion's goal was also his second of the playoffs. Although the Salmon Kings ran into some penalty trouble late in the period, their penalty-killing and Ellis maintained the 2-0 lead into the first intermission.
Victoria would take a 3-0 lead 6:27 into the middle period. Dan Gendur, making his postseason debut, handled the puck behind the net, and gave Wes Goldie a hard pass that was directed through Lamoreux's legs by the Salmon Kings' captain for his second of the game. Gendur, shortly after notching the assist, nearly made it 4-0 Salmon Kings on a breakaway, but his forehand deke was bested by a sliding Lamoreux. Gendur would, however, play a part in the Salmon Kings taking a four-goal lead. At 17:39, he took a stretch pass from defenseman Gary Gladue, creating a two-on-one opportunity. Gendur fed Chris St. Jacques a cross-ice pass and he made no mistake in converting his second goal of the post-season past Lamoreux. The Salmon Kings would take the 4-0 lead into the second intermission.
Captain Wes Goldie was awarded a third-period penalty shot at the 9:01 mark, after being hooked on a breakaway attempt. Goldie put a good backhand move on Lamoreux, but shot the puck over the crossbar, narrowly missing a hat-trick. Tough Salmon Kings defence and nine third-period saves by Ellis protected the shutout and ensured the series would see Game 5. Salmon Kings 4 Aces 0.
Victoria finished 1/8 = 12.5% on the power play, while Alaska finished 0/5= 0.0%. The Salmon Kings outshot the Aces 37-28.
The series now continues with Game 5 tomorrow night at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. Puck drop is at 7:05 p.m. PST. Tickets for Game 5 of the West Division Final against Alaska are on sale now on the internet at www.selectyourtickets.com or they are on sale tomorrow morning at the Select Your Tickets Box Office at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre or by calling 250-220-7777 at 9:30 a.m. tomorrow morning If necessary, Games 6 and 7 will be played back in Anchorage on Tuesday, May 5th and Wednesday, May 6th, with an 8:15 p.m. PST puck drop for both games.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 1, 2009
- Salmon Kings Stay Alive with 4-0 Win - Alaska Aces
- Salmon Kings Bounce Back - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Salmon Kings' Game Five Tickets On Sale - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Stingrays Take Series Lead on 4-3 Win Over Everblades - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Finish Off Elmira, 2-0 -- Head To Conference Finals - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Blades come-back falls short; Rays win 4-3 - Florida Everblades
- Bombers Host Second Equipment and Merchandise Sale - Dayton Bombers
- Alaska's Stefanishion Suspended One Game, Fined - Alaska Aces
- Wranglers Kelly Cup Daily - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Kelly Cup Quest - South Carolina Stingrays
- Chiefs Rank High In Season Ticket Renewals - Johnstown Chiefs
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Thunder take 2-1 series lead on Huddy's three points, Van Buskirk's 38 saves - Stockton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Salmon Kings Stories
- Royals' Pink In The Rink Almost Sold Out
- Former Salmon Kings' General Manager & Head Coach Named to Winnipeg Jets' AHL Staff
- Salmon Kings Withdraw from ECHL
- Salmon Kings' Season Ends with Game 4 Loss
- Alaska takes 3-0 series lead with 6-2 victory over Victoria