Salem-Keizer Volcanoes Praise Save Minor League Baseball Task Force
Keizer, OR - The Salem-Keizer Volcanoes today praised the newly created Save Minor League Baseball Task Force that has been organized by members of Congress to prevent Major League Baseball (MLB) from eliminating 42 minor league franchises, over one quarter of all minor league teams around the country.
"We appreciate the support of Rep. Lori Trahan (D.-Massachusetts), David McKinley (R-W.Va.) and the members of the task force in standing up for Minor League Baseball and speaking out against MLB's effort cast off thousands of jobs, reduce affordable, family-friendly entertainment and undermine grassroots support for our great game," said Jerry Walker, Owner of the Volcanoes. "It was truly an honor meeting them yesterday in D.C. and getting to know them personally," added Walker.
The Salem-Keizer Volcanoes have been identified as one of the 42 franchises facing elimination under the MLB proposal.
Minor league teams are vital to the social and economic lives of millions of Americans; they support scores of local businesses and jobs, provide accessible entertainment, help promote tourism spending and donate tens of millions of dollars in charitable contributions.
"With this proposal, MLB is willing to break the hearts of dozens of communities across the country," said Walker. "We are going to resist this plan and are gratified that so many in Congress are willing to join with us."
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from December 4, 2019
- Everett AquaSox Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Everett AquaSox
- Eugene Emeralds Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Eugene Emeralds
- Salem-Keizer Volcanoes Praise Save Minor League Baseball Task Force - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- Boise Hawks Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.