Saints Scribbles: Dubuque Powers Past Team USA, 6-5 in Offensive Showdown
The Dubuque Fighting Saints battled for a full sixty minutes to secure a big 6-5 victory over the USA NTDP on Saturday afternoon. Tristan Lemyre and Robert Cronin each scored twice for the Saints, Connor Kurth notched the game winner on the power play midway through the third period and Dubuque registered points from eight different players in the win.
-Dubuque and Team USA started the first period similar to the one played yesterday. The Saints were the slightly better team but both didn't generate much on the offensive side. Dubuque changed that late in the period as Robert Cronin made a nice move on the goal line and then banged the puck through for a one goal lead.
-Tristan Lemyre answered right back for Dubuque as they went up 2-0 late in the period. Lemyre's goal was his first in the USHL and just snuck through the USA goalie from about 30 feet out.
-The Saints came out firing in period two as well, picking up where they left off. The Saints started attacking on the power play as Robert Cronin struck again for his second of the game and second power play goal of the season.
-On the next man advantage, Dubuque continued to pour it on with Riley Stuart cashing in on the power play. The goal was Stuart's third of the season and all three have come on the power play for the second-year Saints forward.
-Team USA pulled Kaidan Mbereko after the Stuart goal and Gibson Homer hopped in net. That seemed to spark momentum as the NTDP notched two quick goals from Liam Gilmartin and Ryan St. Louis. Late in the period USA added two more as Sasha Pastujov continued his great series with another power play goal. With less than two minutes left, Jeremy Wilmer bounced a centering feed off a skate and behind Aidan McCarthy to tie things up at four.
-Lemyre scored again early in the third period to give Dubuque the lead back. It didn't last long. Pastujov scored his fifth goal of the series to tie things back up for Team USA.
-However, that lead lasted even shorter as Connor Kurth put the Fighting Saints up for good midway through the period. Kurth scored on the power play, batting the puck out of midair past Gibson Homer.
-The Saints secured their first road win and first conference win with the victory over Team USA.
-Dubuque's power play continues to produce. They have scored in five of the last seven games and notched two big goals in this contest, including the game winner.
-Dubuque hits the ice next the day following Christmas as they are on the road again to take on Green Bay. It will start a stretch of five games in eight days for the Saints.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 19, 2020
- PP Pushes Hawks to Win - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stampede Fall 5-2 in Holiday-Themed Game - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Storm Win Road Battle over Lancers 5-1 - Tri-City Storm
- Steel Get to Overtime But Fall 5-4 to Muskegon - Chicago Steel
- Storm Defeat Lancers, 5-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Saints Scribbles: Dubuque Powers Past Team USA, 6-5 in Offensive Showdown - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Storm Battle Lancers in Rivalry Matchup - Tri-City Storm
- Force Are 9-1-1 After Defeat of Des Moines - Fargo Force
- Carpenter's Four Goal Night Sends Lancers Past Black Hawks, 5-2 - Omaha Lancers
- Phantoms Drop Fourth Straight, Fall to Green Bay 4-1 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Storm Defeat Musketeers 2-1 - Tri-City Storm
- Carpenter Builds Lancer Lead - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.