Saints Complete Sweep Wednesday Night
WICHITA, Kan. - The St. Paul Saints completed the first-ever sweep by an opposing team at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium with a 10-1 win over the Wichita Wingnuts on Wednesday night.
The Saints (13-6) pounded out six runs on seven hits in the first inning against Wingnuts starter Corbin Osburn (2-1). Justin O'Conner had the big blow in the inning, smacking a three-run homer to cap the scoring in the frame.
Former Wingnuts outfielder Richard Prigatano added to the lead with an RBI single in the second, then O'Conner launched his second homer of the night in the third for an 8-0 advantage.
Tony Thomas got the Wingnuts (10-9) on the board in the home half of the third, blasting his team-leading fifth home run of the season off Saints starter Vinny Nittoli (3-1). That run proved to be the only blip on the radar for Nittoli, who worked five innings while striking out eight. Ryan Schlosser and Ryan Boelter each tossed two frames out of the St. Paul bullpen to close out the sweep.
The combination of Brady Bowen, Jordan Cooper, and Austin Boyle settled the game down with 3.1 scoreless innings in relief, but the Wingnuts offense could only muster five base hits.
The Wingnuts will have an off-day on Thursday, before continuing the homestand with a three-game series beginning Friday against the Kansas City T-Bones. Wichita will start right-hander Travis Banwart (2-1, 1.87) while Kansas City has not yet announced their starter. The game will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 6, 2018
- Strong Offense Powers T-Bones Past the AirHogs Wednesday Night - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Complete Sweep Wednesday Night - Wichita Wingnuts
- History in the Making, Saints Become First Team to Ever Sweep Wingnuts at Lawrence-Dumont, Win 10-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Good Grief, Won't You be Our Neighbor During the Saints Homestand from June 8-13 - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Pitch First Shutout, Walk off Canaries in Eleven - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- X's Win Sixth Straight with Victory over Cleburne - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Take Tuesday Opener vs. T-Bones - Texas AirHogs
- Railroader Rally Falls Short in 9th - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes Edge RailCats to Even Series - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.