Saints Claim Series Opener from Wingnuts
WICHITA, Kan. - Two solo homers and a four-run ninth inning powered the St. Paul Saints to a series-opening 8-3 win over the Wichita Wingnuts on Monday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
The Saints (11-6) inched out to a 4-1 lead with single runs in the second, third, sixth and seventh against Wingnuts starter Casey Harman (2-1). Dante Bichette Jr. singled home the first run, before Justin O'Conner launched a solo homer to double the St. Paul lead to 2-0. Wichita (10-7) got a run back in the third on an RBI single from Abel Nieves, but a line drive double play off the bat of Fernando Perez prevented further damage in the inning.
In the sixth, a two-out error stretched the St. Paul advantage to 3-1, then Max Murphy's two-out double in the seventh made it 4-1. The Wingnuts pulled within 4-3 in the home half of the frame, with John Nester clubbing a solo homer and Zach Nehrir delivering a two-out, run-scoring double. Wichita then threatened to tie the game in the eighth, but Max Murphy cut down Perez trying to score on Nester's fly to right to end the frame.
St. Paul added four insurance runs in the ninth, highlighted by a solo blast from Bichette Jr. off Wingnuts reliever Austin Boyle.
The Wingnuts and Saints continue their series Tuesday at 7:05 PM. Jared Wilson (0-0, 3.85) will get the start for Wichita, while the Saints have not yet announced their starter. The game will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 4, 2018
- Saints Claim Series Opener from Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Vavra Extends Hit Streak to 16 Games as Dogs Fall in Opener - Chicago Dogs
- Let the Countdown Begin: Saints Manager George Tsamis Wins Number 995 as Saints Take Down Wingnuts 8-3 - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Sign RHP Jeremy Holcombe - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Railroaders Win Series Finale 1-0 - Cleburne Railroaders
- Ibarra Earns American Association Player of the Week Award - Lincoln Saltdogs
- The Perfect Birthday Present, Solter Named Pointstreak American Association Pitcher of the Week - St. Paul Saints
- Publication Names Chase Simpson American Association Player of the Month - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.