Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park to Host 2019 NWSL Championship
CHICAGO - The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) and the North Carolina Courage announced today that Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park will host the 2019 NWSL Championship on Sunday, October 27 at 4:00 p.m. ET.
"We are excited to bring the 2019 NWSL Championship to the home of the 2018 NWSL champions and give their passionate fans a chance to be a part of this exciting event," said NWSL President Amanda Duffy. "Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park will provide a wonderful atmosphere and the Triangle area has such a rich soccer history which is wonderful to add to in celebrating the culmination of the 2019 season."
This year will mark Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park's first year as host of the Championship event, but the stadium previously hosted one NWSL playoff game, during which the crowd of 10,017 set a record in the club's first season of play. Since the stadium's opening in 2002, it has also hosted numerous Concacaf, U.S. women's and men's national team, and professional league and team tournaments and events, most recently hosting the 2018 Concacaf Women's Championship as part of the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup Qualifiers.
"We are thrilled to host the 2019 NWSL Championship," said Curt Johnson, President and General Manager, North Carolina Football Club, which operates the North Carolina Courage. "Sahlen's Stadium has hosted several top-level events throughout the years, including United States Women's and Men's National Team games, and the NWSL Championship is the marquee event for our league. This is a fantastic year for women's soccer on a local, national and international level, and we are excited to be able to showcase the best players in the world and crown the NWSL champion."
Tickets go on sale to the public on Monday, July 8, at 8 a.m. ET / 5 a.m. PT. Fans will be able to purchase tickets by calling the Coastal Credit Union Box Office at (919) 459-8144 or online at www.NCCourage.com. North Carolina Courage season ticket holders will have access to an exclusive presale beginning Monday, July 1, with details to be emailed to season ticket holders later this month. Tickets will be held for fans of both participating teams and be made available once the teams are set.
The North Carolina Courage are the reigning champions of the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) as well as winners of the 2018 Women's International Champions Cup. They are part of North Carolina Football Club, the largest youth-to-professional soccer organization in the country, which includes a men's Second Division team, North Carolina FC (USL Championship), and a development team, North Carolina FC U23 (USL league Two). The organization is also home to both Boys and Girls U.S. Soccer Development Academies in collaboration with NCFC Youth, effectively creating a true pyramid from youth recreational all the way to the professional teams. The North Carolina Football Club is owned by local entrepreneur, Steve Malik, and managed by North Carolina native and longtime soccer executive Curt Johnson. North Carolina Football Club was established in 2016 to bring the highest levels of men's and women's professional soccer to the state. For more information, please visit www.NCCourage.com
At the conclusion of the NWSL season, the top four teams in the standings qualify for the playoffs with the higher-seeded teams hosting the semifinal matches on October 20. The 2019 NWSL Championship marks the fifth consecutive year the title match is set to be contested at a predetermined site.
The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) is the longest-running women's professional soccer league in the United States. Now in its seventh season, the league features nine clubs including the Chicago Red Stars, Houston Dash, North Carolina Courage, Orlando Pride, Portland Thorns FC, Reign FC, Sky Blue FC, Utah Royals FC and Washington Spirit.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 19, 2019
- STLFC Wins 1-0 over FC Cincinnati to Advance in U.S. Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
- United Soccer League Awards USL Championship Franchise in San Diego Market - USL
- Nashville SC Fans Drive over 1,000 Miles to Watch Win over Hartford Athletic - Nashville SC
- Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park to Host 2019 NWSL Championship - North Carolina FC
- Doherty: "I Just Want to Learn as Much as I Can" - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- BBVA Compass Field Renamed BBVA Field Amid Bank Brand Unification - Birmingham Legion FC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 16 - USL
- LouCity, ORCA Life Partner to Benefit Our Louisville Parks - Louisville City FC
- Smith Being Proven Right by Nashville SC's Balance - Nashville SC
- Reno Drops Match against First-Place Phoenix - Reno 1868 FC
- Rising Sets Club Record with Sixth Straight Win - Phoenix Rising FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- Cancelation of USL League Two 2020 Season Affects NCFC U23 Development Team
- Eight NC Courage and NCFC Players to be Featured on New 'Possession' Larry's Coffee Bags
- NC Courage and North Carolina FC Players Head up #SponsorToGoWeek to Help Club Partners
- Historic North Carolina FC, NC Courage Matches to Air on Capitol Broadcasting, YouTube
- North Carolina FC Statement on Extended Suspension of USL Championship Season