Reno Drops Match against First-Place Phoenix
Reno, Nev. - Reno 1868 FC dropped their first home match of the year tonight, falling 3-0 to Phoenix Rising FC. Phoenix moves to 8-2-5 on the season, leading the USL's western conference. Reno falls to 6-4-5, good for fifth in the west.
Phoenix jumped out to the early lead with a seventh minute goal by Adam Jahn, assisted by Solomon Asante. Reno went into halftime trailing 1-0 despite outshooting Phoenix 17-5 in the first 45 minutes.
"In the first half I thought we played really well," said head coach Ian Russell. "We created a bunch of really good chances. We should've scored goals in the first half."
In the 56th minute, Phoenix would add another off the foot of Asante. The goal was assisted on by Jose Aguinaga. In stoppage time, Phoenix would tack on a third goal by Joey Callistri, assisted by Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu. Phoenix outshot Reno 14-4 in the second half to secure the victory.
"In the second half they dropped and made it hard on us," said Russell.
This is just the sixth time ever Reno has been shut out on their home pitch, with the last coming April 14, 2018.
"I'm already looking forward to looking at the film. To be honest I was happy with how we played for the most part," Russell said. "I was happy with how the guys created opportunities. Most nights those turn into goals, tonight they didn't."
Reno will be back in action next Wednesday in Oregon to take on Portland Timbers 2. The action gets underway at 7:00 p.m. PT, and will be streamed on ESPN+.
Reno 1868 FC Starting XI
GK (12) Matt Bersano, D (5) Zach Carroll ©, D (3) Benjamin Galindo Cruz, D (16) Brent Richards,
D (11) Duke Lacroix, M (84) Seth Casiple, M (40) Raul Mendiola, M (23) Sam Gleadle, M (97) Sergio Rivas, F (21) Corey Hertzog, F (9) Danny Musovski
GK (25) Damion Lewis D (6) Thomas Janjigian, D (15) Yosimar Hernandez, D (13) Nathan Aune, M (20) Mark Hernandez, F (17) Aidan Apodaca, D (2) Emrah Klimenta
69' Aidan Apodaca Ã Danny Musovski
79' Sam Gleadle Ã Thomas Janjigian
87' Nathan Aune Ã Benjamin Galindo Cruz
Raul Mendiola 24'
Benjamin Galindo Cruz 53'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 19, 2019
- STLFC Wins 1-0 over FC Cincinnati to Advance in U.S. Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
- United Soccer League Awards USL Championship Franchise in San Diego Market - USL
- Nashville SC Fans Drive over 1,000 Miles to Watch Win over Hartford Athletic - Nashville SC
- Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park to Host 2019 NWSL Championship - North Carolina FC
- Doherty: "I Just Want to Learn as Much as I Can" - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- BBVA Compass Field Renamed BBVA Field Amid Bank Brand Unification - Birmingham Legion FC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 16 - USL
- LouCity, ORCA Life Partner to Benefit Our Louisville Parks - Louisville City FC
- Smith Being Proven Right by Nashville SC's Balance - Nashville SC
- Reno Drops Match against First-Place Phoenix - Reno 1868 FC
- Rising Sets Club Record with Sixth Straight Win - Phoenix Rising FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno 1868 FC Stories
- Reno 1868 FC to Host Mental Health Panel Led by Assistant Coach Chris Malenab
- Reno Aces, New West Distributing and Hop Valley Unveil Aceball Ale
- United Soccer League Provides Update on 2020 Seasons
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Reno 1868 FC to Sell Masks Made from Un-Worn Jerseys