Saginaw Spirit Prepare for 2019 NHL Draft in Vancouver
SAGINAW, MI - 12 Saginaw Spirit players hope to have their dreams realized and hear their named called as the drama of the 2019 NHL Draft unfolds in Vancouver, British Colombia, Canada on June 21-22 at Rogers Arena, home of the NHL's Vancouver Canucks.
Since the franchise's move from North Bay to Saginaw prior to the 2002-03 season, the Spirit have had 57 players selected in the NHL Draft, including four players taken in 2018 from the 2018-19 roster. Bode Wilde was selected in the second round, 41st overall, by the New York Islanders and committed to play for the Spirit shortly after. Ivan Prosvetov was selected in the fourth round, 114th overall, and was then selected by the Spirit in the 2018 CHL Import Draft. Blade Jenkins was selected by the New York Islanders in the fifth round, 134th overall, and Damien Giroux was selected by the Minnesota Wild in the fifth round, 155th overall.
In the franchise's 17-year history, the most Spirit players to have been taken in a single NHL Draft was five. The franchise accomplished this feat four times, including back-to-back-to-back seasons from 2004-2006.
Historically, the Detroit Red Wings have selected the most Saginaw Spirit players of any other team in the National Hockey League. The Wings called on Tyler Haskins (2004), Jan Mursak (2006), Zack Torquato (2007), Jake Paterson (2012), Filip Hronek (2016), and Brady Gilmour (2017). Reilly Webb is also a Detroit Red Wings pick in 2017, but was not traded to the Spirit until later in the 2017-18 season.
At least one Saginaw Spirit player has been picked in each of the last 17 NHL Drafts.
In the 2011 NHL Draft, the Dallas Stars selected Jamie Oleksiak in the first round, 14th overall making him the highest Spirit draft pick in franchise history.
This season, 12 Spirit players are eligible to hear their named called at the NHL Draft including Nicholas Porco (103), Mason Millman (125), Camaryn Baber, D.J. Busdeker, Cole Coskey, Hayden Davis, Caleb Everett, Jake Goldowski, Brady Gilmour, Brock Hill, Danny Katic, and Reilly Webb. Nicholas Porco and Mason Millman were both listed on the final rankings of the NHL Central Scouting final rankings.
Nicholas Porco is the highest rated Saginaw Spirit player at 103rd among North American Skaters on the final rankings of the NHL Central Scouting List.
The first round of the 2019 NHL Draft will be broadcast on the NBC Sports Network (NBCSN), (Ch. 36, 779 HD on Spectrum, Ch. 159 on DISH Network, Ch. 220 on DIRECTV) and streamed on NBC Sports Live on Friday, June 21nd at 8:00 p.m. (ET). The NHL Network will carry round two-through-seven on Saturday, June 22nd beginning at 1:00 p.m. (ET). In Canada, Sportsnet will televise the entire 2019 NHL Draft.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from June 19, 2019
- Attack Alumni Win Big at NHL Awards - Owen Sound Attack
- Hunter Jones Named to Canada's 2019 National Junior Team Summer Development Camp Roster - Peterborough Petes
- Third Member of 2019 Draft Class Commits to Sarnia as Nolan Dann Signs Standard Player Agreement - Sarnia Sting
- Dudas Invited to National Junior Team Development Camp with Hockey Canada - Owen Sound Attack
- Saginaw Spirit Prepare for 2019 NHL Draft in Vancouver - Saginaw Spirit
- Damiani Named to Canada's National Junior Team Sport Chek Summer Development Camp - Kitchener Rangers
- Serron Noel and Allan McShane Invited to Hockey Canada's World Junior Showcase - Oshawa Generals
- Firebirds Prepare for NHL Draft this Weekend - Flint Firebirds
- TD Place Says Goodbye to Plastic Straws - Ottawa 67's
- Storm Players Ready for 2019 NHL Entry Draft this Weekend - Guelph Storm
- Top Prospects Robertson and Suzuki Following Examples Set Before Them - Barrie Colts
- #StormCupTour Stops in London - Guelph Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saginaw Spirit Stories
- Saginaw Spirit Sign 2020 CHL Import Draft Pick Pavel Mintyukov
- Spirit Store Re-Opening July 1st
- Spirit Select Defenseman Pavel Mintyukov and Forward Albin Grewe in the 2020 CHL Import Draft
- Spirit Receive Commitment from Ryan Beck
- Spirit Receive Commitment from Ryan Beck