Sacramento Monarchs weekly update
MONARCHS NEWS & NOTES
Homestand Highlights the End of the 2009 Regular Season
The Monarchs round out the 2009 season with two home games (part of a four-game homestand); Sacramento hosts San Antonio on Sept. 10 at 7:00 p.m. PDT then finishes the year against Minnesota on Sept. 13 at 6:00 p.m. PDT.
Powell's Streaks and Records
Monarchs forward Nicole Powell has played in 187 consecutive games - including 168 with the Monarchs - which is the longest active streak in the WNBA. She is 25 games back from Sacramento's franchise record of 193, set by Tangela Smith from June 17, 1999, through Sept. 19, 2004.
In addition to her League record-setting free throw performance earlier this season, Powell has not missed a free throw at ARCO Arena since July 24, 2008. She has made 57-of-57 free throws through the Sept. 4 game against Atlanta, including 47 this year which also is a WNBA record for most consecutive free throws made in a season.
Powell is approaching several career milestones in both her individual records and Sacramento's franchise records: one game shy of 200 career; one double-digit scoring game shy of the franchise record 28 such games in a season (Yolanda Griffith, 2000); 22 points shy of the franchise record 545 points in a season (Yolanda Griffith, 1999); 18 field goals made shy of the franchise record 200 in a season (Yolanda Griffith, 1999); and six three-point field goals made shy of the franchise record 78 in a season (Powell, 2008)
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 8, 2009
- Sparks Clinch Berth In 2009 Playoffs - Los Angeles Sparks
- Swin Cash To Miss Final Two Games Of Regular Season - Seattle Storm
- Sparks Announce Plans For Lisa Leslie's Farewell Game - Los Angeles Sparks
- Mystics To Play First Round Of Playoffs At Comcast Center - Washington Mystics
- Fever tackles final week before opening playoff run as East's top seed - Indiana Fever
- Sacramento Monarchs weekly update - Sacramento Monarchs
- Detroit's Deanna Nolan And San Antonio's Vickie Johnson Named Players Of The Week - WNBA
- 2009 Storm Playoff Tickets on Sale Tomorrow - Seattle Storm
- Sacramenton Monarchs, Rotary and Kiwanis Clubs and Wells Fargo Team Up to Win Toyota Rebound Contest - Sacramento Monarchs
- Three Playoff Rallies Scheduled for Monday Evening - Indiana Fever
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Monarchs Stories
- Monarchs Forward/Guard Hamchétou Maïga-Ba Undergoes Surgery
- Monarchs Guard Ticha Penicheiro Undergoes Successful Surgery
- Monarchs' Center Courtney Paris Receives WNBA Cares Community Assist Award for August
- Sacramento Monarchs weekly update
- Sacramenton Monarchs, Rotary and Kiwanis Clubs and Wells Fargo Team Up to Win Toyota Rebound Contest