Royals Sign Defenseman Kevin Schaeffer
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals of the ECHL, affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League and the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League, today announced that the team has signed defenseman Kevin Schaeffer ["SHAY fuhr"]. Last season, Schaeffer (6'1"/200 lbs) scored a career high six goals, assisted on four others, and picked up twenty-two penalty minutes in thirty-three games for the Boston University Terriers. Schaeffer, who will turn twenty-three on October 16, was a sixth round pick of the Nashville Predators in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
Prior to being recruited to BU, Schaeffer, who was born in South Huntington, New York, played his junior hockey in the Eastern Junior Hockey League for the New York Apple Core, where he was twice chosen as a league all-star and helped lead his team to the 2003 EJHL Championship. In his freshman year with the Terriers, Schaeffer became the first freshman defenseman in school history to register a hattrick when he bagged three goals against the Yale Bulldogs on November 30, 2003, earning a selection as the Hockey East Rookie of the Week. At the conclusion of his freshman year, Schaeffer, who was second in scoring among freshman with the Terriers, was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie Team. In his final three seasons at BU, Schaeffer and his teammates had quite a run, winning three consecutive Beanpot Tournaments in Boston, as well as earning three consecutive trips to the NCAA Tournament. Schaeffer had quite a run of his own, playing in 132 consecutive games for the Terriers until December of his senior season, when an off-ice injury kept him out action for a couple of games. But Schaeffer did return to the line-up in time to help the Terriers get back to the NCAAs where they were eliminated in the first round by eventual National Champion Michigan State.
The Royals' home opener is on Saturday, November 3, 2007, against the Cincinnati Cyclones. Royals' full Season Tickets and Total Choice Flex Plans are now on sale. To obtain more information on becoming a part of Royals' hockey, call 610-898-PUCK to speak with Royals' ticket representative or visit the Royals website, www.royalshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from August 29, 2007
- Wranglers Announce Special Game Promotions - Las Vegas Wranglers
- ECHL Announces 2007-08 Referees, Linesmen - ECHL
- Salmon Kings Round Out Hockey Operations Staff - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Royals Sign Defenseman Kevin Schaeffer - Reading Royals
- Bombers Answer the Call at the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon - Dayton Bombers
- Charlotte Junior Checkers Kick Off 2007-08 Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Add Pair Of Goal Scorers - Fresno Falcons
- Nailers Announce Preseason Schedule - Wheeling Nailers
- Wood Returns To Trenton - Trenton Devils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Former Royals D David Drake Signs with AHL's Phantoms
- $6 Kids Tickets Enhance Family-Friendly Royals Experience
- Reading Native F Steven Swavely Agrees to AHL Deal with Phantoms
- Celebrity Bartending at Beverly Hills Tavern September 20
- Royals Renew Affiliation Partnership with Philadelphia Flyers