Round Rock Express Rally Past Sacramento 11-7
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Matt Kata's two-run double keyed a four-run fifth inning as the Round Rock Express overcame a six-run deficit en route to an 11-7 victory over the Sacramento River Cats in Monday night's Pacific Coast League action at The Dell Diamond. The Express (49-68) have won four straight, matching their longest winning streak of the season, and hold a two-games-to-none lead in the series against the River Cats (62-55).
Sacramento sent 10 batters to the plate in a six-run second inning, but Round Rock overcame that deficit with a run in the second, another in the third and a four-run fourth. It was the largest deficit overcome for a win this season by the Express, who have won five of six overall and nine of 13 at home.
The Express improved to 15-7 this season against PCL Pacific Coast teams and ensured at least a split in their sixth of six series against Pacific Coast opponents.
Roy Corcoran entered the game with one out and runners at first and second in the top of the sixth. He used a groundout and a strikeout to escape the jam and pitched a perfect seventh with two strikeouts. That gave Corcoran (2-10) his first win since May 11, snapping a five-decision skid. Starter Polin Trinidad yielded six runs on 11 hits and two walks with six strikeouts over 5.1 innings. Gary Majewski worked the final two frames, allowing only a Dallas McPherson leadoff homer in the ninth.
Reliever Jared Lansford (1-1) took the loss for River Cats, allowing three runs on four hits and no walks with one strikeout in one-third of an inning. Starter Travis Banwart lasted 4.2 innings and allowed six runs on nine hits and three walks with four strikeouts.
Sacramento tallied seven hits in the six-run second, keyed by two-run singles from Jeff Baisley and Travis Buck. The Express chipped away with consecutive one-out doubles from Oswaldo Navarro and Edwin Maysonet in the second and a Collin DeLome one-out RBI single in the third. The door of opportunity appeared to close on the Express in the third when Navarros and Maysonet followed DeLome with strikeouts, leaving the bases loaded.
However, the Express erupted for four two-out runs in the fifth to tie the game. Maysonet drilled a three-run double, and Edwin Bellorin followed with a game-tying RBI single. An Anderson Hernandez single and a Drew Locke double opened the sixth. After Chris Shelton struck out, Matt Kata drilled the game-deciding, two-run double. Kata later scored on Navarro's fielder's choice, and Bellorin capped the inning with a two-out RBI single.
Locke, who was 4-for-5 with two RBI and three runs scored, added a one-out solo homer in the seventh. It was his team-leading 14th round-tripper and second in as many nights. Maysonet was 3-for-5 with four RBI, while Bellorin was 3-for-5 with two RBI. Hernandez and DeLome each had two hits as the Express tallied 17 as a team.
Each of Sacramento's first five batters had two-hit nights - Corey Wimberly, Eric Sogard, Travis Buck, McPherson and Steve Tolleson.
Round Rock and Sacramento continue their four-game series Tuesday with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch at The Dell Diamond. Right-hander Jordan Lyles (0-0, 0.00 ERA) makes his Triple-A debut for the Express. He will be the first 19-year-old to pitch in a PCL game this season. Southpaw Bobby Cramer (0-0, 4.50 ERA) is scheduled to start for the River Cats.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 9, 2010
- Manzella Rehab Assignment Moves to Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- Peña Stays Hot as Beavers Knock off I-Cubs - Portland Beavers
- Round Rock Express Rally Past Sacramento 11-7 - Round Rock Express
- Royals Romp over Rainiers 11-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Portland Stops Cubs' Win Streak - Iowa Cubs
- Astros Recall Melancon from Round Rock; Option Wright - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- NPF Showdown Undergoes Changes - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Beat 51s, 10-5, End Four-Game Losing Streak - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Opening Weekend Festivities Take over Dell Diamond
- Round Rock Express Announce Entire 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Round Rock Express Announce Variety of Kids Promotions and Events
- Round Rock Express Announce Full Slate of Theme Nights for 2018
- Round Rock Express Announce Postgame Summer Concert Series Lineup