Roughnecks Triumph over Fresno 2-1
TULSA, OK - Tulsa Roughnecks faced off against second place Fresno FC in USL Western Conference Championship play at ONEOK Field. The first half began with a bang in the 5th minute as Rodrigo Da Costa chested the ball to himself and put it into the bottom left corner with a perfect bicycle kick. Midway into the first half, Fresno opened up the game and found an equalizer in the 28th minute with a header from Jaime Chavez off of a free kick. From there the two teams battled back and forth into the break.
At the beginning of the second half the Roughnecks again got off to a hot start when Rodrigo Da Costa played a beautiful long ball along the ground to the feet of Marlon Prazeres where he placed the ball into the net around the keeper. Again Fresno looked to gain momentum after settling back into the game with a collective number of attacks to counter the Roughnecks pressure.
The Roughnecks went into a more defensive shape in the later part of the half which led to more pressure from Fresno. In the 84th minute Brayan Reyes was called for a foul in the penalty area which seemed to be the demise for the Roughnecks' energetic night. Jackson Pereira stepped to the spot for Fresno and sent the ball over the bar sending ONEOK into a frenzy. After the missed penalty it seemed like a win was just meant to be for the Roughnecks on the cool August night. After a few more nervy attacks from Fresno the referee blew the whistle to give the Roughnecks their well-deserved first victory since April.
Tulsa Roughnecks season & single game tickets are now on sale and can be purchased by going to RoughnecksFC.com, by calling 918-297-6808, or in person at the ONEOK Field ticket office.
Images from this story
Tulsa Roughnecks celebrate a goal
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 31, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Fall to League Leaders Phoenix Rising FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Roughnecks Triumph over Fresno 2-1 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Fresno Foxes Stumble at Tulsa in Week 26 - Fresno FC
- Rowdies Fall 2-1 to Nashville - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Phoenix Rising Finishes Road Trip with 17th Straight Win - Phoenix Rising FC
- Loudoun United Win First Match at Segra Field 4-0 against North Carolina FC - Loudoun United
- Belmar Provides Late Winner as Defense, Pickens Hold Strong over Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Falls on Road at Loudoun United - North Carolina FC
- Nashville SC Players Visit Vanderbilt's Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital to Play Bingo with Kids - Nashville SC
- Fresno FC at Tulsa Roughnecks FC Game Notes - Fresno FC
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC vs. Charleston Battery - Nashville SC
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Ready for Another High-Stakes Clash on the Road at Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- Abdul Rwatubyaye and Shane Malcolm Called up for International Duty - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs FW Douglas Martinez from Real Monarchs SLC - Real Monarchs SLC
- It's Match Day at ONEOK - Gates Open at 6:30 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Tacoma Defiance Earns Convincing 5-1 Victory over San Antonio FC - Tacoma Defiance
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.