Real Salt Lake Signs FW Douglas Martinez from Real Monarchs SLC
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake has signed FW Douglas Martinez from its USL Championship affiliate Real Monarchs SLC, the club announced today. Martinez becomes the eighth player to make the jump to RSL after first signing with the Monarchs. He will occupy an international roster spot.
"Douglas came in with an opportunity to prove that he was capable of playing at an MLS level and he's done that with his play on the field, but also his professionalism," RSL General Manager Craig Waibel said. "He checks all the boxes for us in terms of player development and providing a new dynamic to our first team roster and he's also the type of player that will represent our club and our fans well. He still has so much potential and we are excited to see what he can bring to the RSL locker room."
Martinez, 22, has featured in 17 matches for the Monarchs in his first year with the club where he has scored 11 goals in 1,342 minutes played. Originally signing with the Monarchs in January after spending the 2017-18 season with C.D.S. Vida. He made his professional debut with the Honduran club at 16 years old in 2013 and played in four seasons for C.D.S. Vida, totaling 1,230 minutes and three goals in his time in the Honduran top flight. Martinez spent the 2017 season on loan to New York Red Bulls II where he logged 485 minutes, scoring one goal.
Martinez recently returned from featuring for the Honduran U-23s during its successful 2020 Olympic qualifying campaign and the 2019 Pan American Games. Martinez helped his country to a silver medal finish at the 2019 Pan American Games where he scored two goals in the run of play and one during a penalty shootout against Mexico.
Martinez becomes the eighth player to make the jump to RSL after first signing with the Monarchs, joining Emery Welshman, Chris Schuler, Ricardo Velazco, Connor Sparrow and current RSL members Nick Besler, Justin Portillo and Andrew Putna. In addition, former RSL Head Coach Mike Petke and current Interim Head Coach Freddy Juarez both earned promotions from the USL club.
"All of us work to become part of the first team and this year has been good for all of us," Martinez said. "I thank God for the opportunity that I've been given. I look forward to gaining the trust of the team so all of us are confident and can play freely. I'm excited to help get RSL to the playoffs and hope to get minutes on the field."
Real Salt Lake returns to action on Saturday, August 31 when it visits the Portland Timbers at Providence Park as the club looks to retain the second spot in the Western Conference. Kickoff from Portland is slated for 8:30p MT.
Name: Douglas Martî - nez
Weight: 132 lbs
Born: 6/05/1997 (22 yo)
Hometown: Olanchito, Honduras
Last Club: Real Monarchs SLC
Transaction: Real Salt Lake signs FW Douglas Martinez from Real Monarchs SLC.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 31, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Fall to League Leaders Phoenix Rising FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Roughnecks Triumph over Fresno 2-1 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Fresno Foxes Stumble at Tulsa in Week 26 - Fresno FC
- Rowdies Fall 2-1 to Nashville - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Phoenix Rising Finishes Road Trip with 17th Straight Win - Phoenix Rising FC
- Loudoun United Win First Match at Segra Field 4-0 against North Carolina FC - Loudoun United
- Belmar Provides Late Winner as Defense, Pickens Hold Strong over Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Falls on Road at Loudoun United - North Carolina FC
- Nashville SC Players Visit Vanderbilt's Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital to Play Bingo with Kids - Nashville SC
- Fresno FC at Tulsa Roughnecks FC Game Notes - Fresno FC
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC vs. Charleston Battery - Nashville SC
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Ready for Another High-Stakes Clash on the Road at Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- Abdul Rwatubyaye and Shane Malcolm Called up for International Duty - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs FW Douglas Martinez from Real Monarchs SLC - Real Monarchs SLC
- It's Match Day at ONEOK - Gates Open at 6:30 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Tacoma Defiance Earns Convincing 5-1 Victory over San Antonio FC - Tacoma Defiance
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Monarchs SLC Stories
- Real Monarchs Stun Phoenix Rising FC 2-1 with Stoppage Time Winner
- Real Monarchs SLC Visits Phoenix Rising FC in Final Road Trip of 2019 Regular Season
- Real Monarchs SLC Drops Orange County SC, 2-0
- Real Monarchs SLC Seeks Playoff Berth at Home against Orange County SC on Wednesday
- Real Monarchs SLC Earns 2-1 Comeback Victory over Reno 1868 FC