Roughnecks Select Seven Players in 2021 NLL Draft
Calgary, AB - The Calgary Roughnecks Lacrosse Club selected seven players, including four forwards, two transition players, and one goaltender, in the 2021 National Lacrosse League Entry Draft held Saturday via virtual broadcast.
"We are very satisfied with our draft choices this year," said Roughnecks General Manager Mike Board. "We were able to add depth and athleticism to our lineup and are looking forward to a very competitive training camp in November"
The Roughnecks chose Orangeville, Ontario native Kyle Waters sixth overall in the first round. Prior to joining the Major Series Lacrosse League, the 22-year-old played 20 regular season contests with the Orangeville Northmen in 2019, recording 97 points (42g, 55a), and was named the 2019 All-Star in the Ontario Lacrosse A Jr A's.
"We were happy to acquire a big, right-handed offensive player who can create space for his teammates and put the ball in the net," said Mike Board.
"I'm going to play gritty, I'm going to try and get to the middle every opportunity I have," said Waters, who went on to share his excitement at playing with the 2019 NLL Champions. "I can't wait to get there, work hard and hopefully help defend that championship."
With their 10th overall pick, the Roughnecks selected 23-year-old Justin Inacio, a silver medalist with Team Canada at the 2016 U19 FIL World Championships. The Oakville, Ontario native is currently attending Ohio State University.
2021 CALGARY ROUGHNECKS DRAFT BOARD
RND O/A PLAYER, POSITION, YOB, 2021 TEAM (LEAGUE)
1 6 Kyle Waters, F, 1999, Brooklin (MSL)
1 10 Justin Inacio, T, 1998, Brooklin (MSL)
2 20 Dylan McIntosh, F, 1999, Maple Ridge (WLA)
3 38 Carter McKenzie, T, 2000, Burlington (OLA)
4 53 Adam Bland, G, 2002, Victoria (BCLA)
5 68 Daire Newbrough, F, 1999, Kitchener-Waterloo (OLA)
6 82 Tyler Yanko, F, 1998, New Westminster (BCLA)
*Trades: The Calgary Roughnecks acquired the 10th overall selection in the 2021 NLL Draft from the Philadelphia Wings, in exchange for a 15th overall pick in 2021 and a 2nd round pick in 2022. The Club also acquired the 20th overall pick from Colorado Mammoth in exchange for the 22nd overall pick in 2021 and former 2018 5th round selection Tyson Kirkness.
Roughnecks 2021-22 season tickets are on sale September 8th for as low as $32.11/seat for adults (plus applicable taxes and fees). Visit Ticketmaster or the Scotiabank Saddledome box office to join the Rough House party. Fans can also secure a seat online at CalgaryRoughnecks.com or by calling 403-777-4646 option 1.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from August 28, 2021
- Roughnecks Select Seven Players in 2021 NLL Draft - Calgary Roughnecks
- Warriors Select Adam Charalambides 4th Overall in the 2021 NLL Entry Draft - Vancouver Warriors
- Donville, Lanchbury, Nanticoke, Charalambides Taken with Top National Lacrosse League Entry Draft Selections - NLL
- Bandits Acquire Fields, Select Two During First Round of 2021 NLL Entry Draft - Buffalo Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Calgary Roughnecks Stories
- Roughnecks Announce 21-Player Active Roster
- Roughnecks Fall to Warriors 13-9 in Pre-Season Match Up
- Roughnecks Goaltender and Ascent Consulting Ltd Partner for Third Year of Assists for Kids Program
- Roughnecks Open 2021 Training Camp
- Roughnecks Re-Sign Four Key Players for 2021-22