Rome Downs Hickory 8-1 Thanks to Dominant Pitching Performances
Dominant pitching secured a series-opening victory for the Rome Braves (55-59) last night. The Braves crushed the visiting Hickory Crawdads (45-67) 8-1 at State Mutual Stadium in the first of six games this week.
Rome opened the scoring in the bottom of the first as a sac fly from Vaughn Grissom drove in Riley Delgado. They doubled their lead in the third when a double steal allowed Michael Harris II to touch home plate. The R-Braves continued their strong offensive attack in the fourth inning. Delgado singled to bring in Javier Valdes, and Garrett Saunders scored on an RBI single by Harris. The 4-0 lead was doubled in the sixth and seventh frames. In the sixth, an RBI double from Harris drove in Valdes and an error let two more runs score. A Saunders single brought home Drew Campbell in the seventh to make it an 8-0 ballgame. Although Hickory would rally to score a run in the top of the ninth, it was too little, too late, leading to a Rome Braves victory.
Harris led the offense on the day, going 3-for-4 with a double, two RBI, and two runs scored. Valdes was 2-for-4 with two runs and Saunders finished 2-for-3 with one RBI and one run scored. Delgado (1-4, 2 R, RBI), Grissom (1-3, RBI), Campbell (1-4, R), and Jesse Franklin V (1-4) also recorded hits against the Crawdads.
Tanner Gordon produced his best start of the season by throwing six innings of scoreless baseball. He received the win, improving his season record to 2-4, after allowing just five hits and striking out six Hickory batters. Zach Daniels tossed two frames of scoreless baseball as well and tallied two K's. Justin Yeager surrendered a run in the ninth inning but battled back and recorded the final three outs.
The R-Braves and Crawdads are set to do battle again on Wednesday night. Game 2 of the final series of the season will start at 7 p.m. EDT and gates will open at 6 p.m.
The special ticket offer is All-You-Can-Eat Wednesday. With the All-You-Can-Eat Ticket Package, which starts at $36, fans can receive unlimited concession items such as hamburgers, hot dogs, popcorn, and soda. A limit of two items are permitted each trip to the concession stand.
For more information or to purchase tickets, please visit RomeBraves.com/Promotions or call the Rome Braves Box Office at 706-378-5144.
Images from this story
Rome Braves on the mound
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from September 14, 2021
- Rome Downs Hickory 8-1 Thanks to Dominant Pitching Performances - Rome Braves
- Greenville Drops Game One, 3-1 - Greenville Drive
- Ginn Sharp; Claws Drop Opener in Brooklyn 5-2 on Tuesday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Ginn Gets the Win, Cyclones Top BlueClaws 5-2 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Dash Shutout 8-0 by Tourists in Game One - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rome Receives Spain, Rodriguez Activated - Rome Braves
- Winston-Salem Dash Announce Disc Golf at Truist Stadium - Winston-Salem Dash
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (September 14) - Winston-Salem Dash
- R-Braves' Bats Lead the Way in Series Split against Tourists - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.