Roger Clemens To Start For Legends On Tuesday, June 6th
HOUSTON - The Houston Astros announced today that the club has signed pitcher Roger Clemens to a minor league contract. Clemens is scheduled to make three minor league starts prior to making his Astros debut. It is the club's intent to make his first start for the Lexington Legends against the Lake County Captains on June 6.
"We are thrilled that our fans are going to get a chance to see one of the greatest players in baseball history pitching right here in our ballpark," said Alan Stein, President and CEO of the Lexington Legends. "With his son Koby in Lexington, we knew this was a possibility if Roger signed with Houston. We are thrilled to get to see 'the Rocket' in a Legends jersey."
Koby Clemens, Roger's oldest son, began the season playing third base for the Legends until dislocating his left pinky in late April. He is expected to be activated from the disabled list in time for Tuesday's game.
"It's going to be a special night for us but it will really be special for Roger because he'll get to play with his son, Koby," said Legends General Manger Kevin Kulp. "And it could be the only time that he has a chance to do that," Kulp added.
Clemens is 341-172 with a 3.12 ERA in 672 career games and his 341 wins rank ninth all-time. Clemens is also the winner of an unprecedented seven Cy Young Awards. Clemens will become the first player with Major League experience to play for the Legends.
The game now becomes the hottest ticket in town with Roger Clemens slated to start for the Legends. "Our box office phones have been ringing off the hook," said Legends General Manager Kevin Kulp. "Fans started lining up to buy tickets literally just minutes after the announcement came from Houston," Kulp added.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 31, 2006
- Catfish seven-run first leads to RiverDogs' ninth straight loss - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws start June with nine games at home - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Roger Clemens To Start For Legends On Tuesday, June 6th - Lexington Legends
- Cole Hamels starts for BlueClaws Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Legends Reveal New Identity as 'Lexington Leyendas' as Part of Minor League Baseball's Copa de la Diversion
- Lexington Legends to Unveil New Latino Identity
- Lexington Legends Partner with Boston College for Autographs and Photos at Shriners Hospital
- Lexington Legends Release 2019 Promotional Schedule
- National Anthem and God Bless America Auditions Scheduled for February