Rodriguez, Miracle Shut Down Mets 6-0
Rodriguez, Miracle shut down Mets 6-0 Mazeika clubs 3-run homer, 2 doubles in loss
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - Two Fort Myers pitchers combined to throw a three-hit shutout as the Miracle defeated the St. Lucie Mets 6-0 on Sunday at First Data Field.
Miracle starter Dereck Rodriguez, the son of Hall of Famer Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez, allowed just two singles in seven impressive innings. He walked one and struck out three. At one point Rodriguez retired 11 straight batters with outs through the air.
Williams Perez gave up one hit while striking out three over the final two innings.
Mets start Nabil Crismatt matched Rodriguez. He tossed seven scoreless innings himself and scattered five singles.
However, the Mets bullpen couldn't keep up. Cameron Griffin gave up a pair of two runs homers in the eighth to Nelson Molina and Zander Wiel that made it 4-0. In the ninth Molina added a RBI double.
The Mets were shut out for the first time this season and held to a season-low three hits. Patrick Mazeika singled in the ninth to extend his hitting streak to 11 games.
The Mets (12-19) continue their home stand at First Data Field on Monday when they welcome the Lakeland Flying Tigers to town. First pitch is 6:30 p.m. All kids 12-and-under get in for free.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 7, 2017
- 6th Inning Rally Leads Tampa over Charlotte - Tampa Yankees
- Cardinals Drop Game in the 14th - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Solo Homers Not Enough in 4-3 Loss to Yankees - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- - Twice Is Nice, Two 2-Run Blasts Lift Miracle over Mets - Fort Myers Miracle
- Rodriguez, Miracle Shut Down Mets 6-0 - St. Lucie Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.