Rodriguez Guides Bears to 4-3 Win Over Boise
The Yakima Bears defeated the Boise Hawks 4-3 Sunday at Yakima County Stadium in the opening game of a three-game series between the two teams. The Bears are now 3-1 with two games still to play during the current six-game homestand.
Bears catcher Steven Rodriguez had one of his best games of the season. After the Bears fell behind 3-0 in the second inning, Rodriguez hit a double to score Shaun Cooper in the bottom of the inning and pull the Bears within two runs. After Joe Loftus hit a bases-loaded single to make it a 3-2 game in the sixth inning, Rodriguez hit a single that scored two runs that gave the Bears the lead for good.
The Bears outhit the Hawks 7-6, with Rodriguez going 3-for-4 with a double and three RBIs. In addition to his offensive output, Rodriguez caught a Bears pitching staff that looked impressive. Daniel Watts tossed his third-straight quality start to earn his fourth win of the season. The lefty allowed three runs on six hits and walk. RJ Hively retired all six batters he faced over two scoreless innings and Will Locante earned his third save of the season by shutting down the Hawks in the ninth inning. Those three pitchers combined to hold the Hawks top five batters - who are among the Northwest League - to a 2-for-17 combined offensive effort.
The Bears and Hawks meet in game two of the series Monday night at Yakima County Stadium. Game time is scheduled for 7:05. Left-handed pitcher Cody Wheeler is expected to start for the Bears, while right-handed pitcher Ian Dickson is the probable pitcher for the Hawks.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 19, 2012
- Hawks Finally Beaten on the Road - Boise Hawks
- Rodriguez Guides Bears to 4-3 Win Over Boise - Yakima Bears
- Sox Cruise Past Ems, 7-1 - Everett AquaSox
- Anderson Stellar Again As Canadians Blank Volcanoes - Vancouver Canadians
- Tri-City Swept by Boise - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Shutout Sends Canadians Packing Against Aquasox - Vancouver Canadians
- Bears Shut Out 9-0 by Spokane Saturday - Yakima Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.