Rivermen Extend Point Streak to Five
Darren Haydar scored three goals and Bill Sweatt scored the game-winner in overtime to lead the Wolves to a 4-3 victory over the Rivermen on Tuesday at Allstate Arena. Despite the loss, the Rivermen extended their point streak to five games (3-0-2) dating back to their Jan. 20 win over Houston.
It took the Rivermen just 1:19 to score the game's first goal as T.J. Hensick buried a breakaway past Joe Cannata for his 11th goal of the season. Jeff Woywitka earned the lone assist as he split the defense with a pass to send Hensick in alone.
Haydar scored his first two goals before the end of the first period to give Chicago a 2-1 lead. Haydar beat Mike McKenna at 7:48 on the power play and then added his second at 18:07 with the teams playing four-on-four.
After starting the game 0-for-4, Peoria finally cashed in on their fifth power play of the game. After Sergey Andronov stopped a Wolves' clearing attempt, Evgeny Grachev backhanded one through Cannata to tie the game at 14:55 of the second period.
With 60 seconds remaining in the second, Haydar scored his third goal of the game to give Chicago back the lead. Haydar fired the puck over the glove of McKenna for his 12th of the year and earned an assist for Andrew Gordon.
Phil McRae scored the only goal of the third period to tie the game with 9:36 left in regulation. Chris Porter entered the zone and dropped the puck to Taylor Chorney. Chorney's shot went wide but bounced around the net to McRae at the post who slammed in his seventh of the year.
Sweatt won the game for Chicago just 81 seconds into overtime. He picked the puck up and center ice and carried it into the left circle before firing one across the body of McKenna to end the 4-3 game.
The Rivermen outshot the Wolves 23-21, and finished 1-for-7 on the power play. Peoria is now 5-1-2-0 against the Wolves this season with their last two meetings scheduled for Carver Arena.
The Rivermen will be home on Friday night to host Rockford at 7:05. For tickets or information call 309-676-1040.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2013
- Home Stand Ends with Shootout Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Whale Dropped by Albany in Shootout - Connecticut Whale
- Bears Skate to Shootout Win in Cleveland - Hershey Bears
- Devils Win at All Levels - Albany Devils
- Sharks Stun IceCaps with Late Comeback - St. John's IceCaps
- Sharks Shock IceCaps with Late 3rd Period Comeback for 3-2 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Oilers Assign Defenseman Theo Peckham to OKC on Conditioning - Oklahoma City Barons
- A Sweet Deal for You and Your Sweetheart - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Recall Summers Assign Rundblad to Portland - Portland Pirates
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Heat Beat Americans 3-2, Extend North Division Lead - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Add Stefan Stepanov - Albany Devils
- Griffins Face Test from South Division - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Host "Big Brothers Big Sisters Day" this Sunday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Vote Now For Stevens Jewelers Diamond In The Rough Award - Springfield Falcons
- Amerks' Five-Game Win Streak Snapped in 3-2 Loss to Heat - Rochester Americans
- Oilers Recall Mark Arcobello - Oklahoma City Barons
- Gallant Agrees to Entry-Level Deal - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals to Donate $2 from All Tickets to Children's Hospital February 17 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Admirals Hope to Pick up Where They Left off at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Rivermen Extend Point Streak to Five - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens 2013-14 Season and 2013 Calder Cup Playoff Tickets to Go on Sale Sunday - Binghamton Senators
- Haydar's Hat Trick and Sweatt's OT Winner Lead Wolves Past Peoria - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals to Host Donald Driver February 15 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Rangers Assign Forward Brandon Mashinter to Connecticut - Connecticut Whale
- Anaheim Returns Devante Smith-Pelly to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Audy-Marchessault Assigned To Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Dallas Reassigned Tyler Beskorowany to Idaho - Texas Stars
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Kick off Anti-Bullying Campaign - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks Launch "Sweets in Your Seats" Valentine's Day Pack - Rochester Americans
- Bruins Take You Can Play Pledge - Providence Bruins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Texas Takes Down Houston, Continues To Lead The Ahl - Texas Stars
- Houston Aeros Fall to Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Rivermen Stories
- Rivermen Complete Sweep with 4-0 Win in Knoxville Friday
- Rivermen Game Notes: President's Cup Semi Finals Game 2
- Peoria's Jean-Guy Trudel Named SPHL Coach of the Year
- Rivermen Bear Down in Final Two Periods Wednesday
- Rivermen Game Notes: #1 Peoria Rivermen vs #5 Knoxville Ice Bears