Bears Skate to Shootout Win in Cleveland
CLEVELAND, Ohio - Dany Sabourin turned aside four of five Lake Erie Monsters shooters, and stopped 35 shots through 65 minutes of play to help the HERSHEY BEARS skate to a 3-2 victory on Tuesday night at Quicken Loans Arena.
It took all of 42 seconds and one shot on goal to put Lake Erie ahead in the game. After the BEARS had possession on their first shift in the offensive zone, the Monsters worked the puck into the left corner. The BEARS failed to clear, and Paul Carey turned with the puck into the slot and ripped a wrist shot past the blocker of Sabourin.
After killing off a Lake Erie two-man advantage, the BEARS found the equalizer. Unable to control a bouncing puck in the neutral zone, the Monsters coughed up the puck to allow Mike Carman and Matt Pope to take off on a two-on-one rush. Carman held the puck and fired a shot under the glove of Lake Erie goaltender Calvin Pickard at 9:19.
The BEARS then earned their second power play of the night, and made it count to take a 2-1 lead. Off of a cross-zone pass from Peter LeBlanc, Casey Wellman took a shot from in close that Pickard kicked to the side. Barry Almeida was waiting untouched at the top of the crease, and put the rebound into a virtually empty net at 15:27 for his fifth goal of the season. LeBlanc's assist was his first point with HERSHEY.
Not long after failing on their second five-on-three chance of the game, the Monsters tied the game early in the second period. Center Gary Steffes pulled a clean faceoff back to the center point, where Thomas Pock one-timed a shot past the glove of Sabourin at 2:14.
The game would remain knotted the rest of the way through regulation, largely because of Sabourin and the HERSHEY penalty kill, which was perfect on seven Monsters chances.
Lake Erie outshot HERSHEY 6-3 in a scoreless overtime.
In the shootout, Ryan Potulny struck for the BEARS in the second round, Markus Lauridsen tied it up in the third round, and Jeff Taffe put the BEARS ahead for good in the fourth. Sabourin made a pad stop on Brad Malone in the final round to preserve the win.
Sabourin's record improves to 7-7-1, while Pickard falls to 13-10-2 with 31 saves through regulation and overtime. In addition to their perfect penalty kill, the BEARS finished 1-for-4 on the power play.
The BEARS return home on Saturday, February 9 to take on the Binghamton Senators at 7:00 PM. Chocolate-Covered February continues, and all fans will receive candy upon exit courtesy of the HERSHEY Company. Tickets are available at the GIANT Center box office, by calling (717) 508-BEAR or online at TicketMaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2013
- Home Stand Ends with Shootout Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Whale Dropped by Albany in Shootout - Connecticut Whale
- Bears Skate to Shootout Win in Cleveland - Hershey Bears
- Devils Win at All Levels - Albany Devils
- Sharks Stun IceCaps with Late Comeback - St. John's IceCaps
- Sharks Shock IceCaps with Late 3rd Period Comeback for 3-2 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Oilers Assign Defenseman Theo Peckham to OKC on Conditioning - Oklahoma City Barons
- A Sweet Deal for You and Your Sweetheart - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Recall Summers Assign Rundblad to Portland - Portland Pirates
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Heat Beat Americans 3-2, Extend North Division Lead - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Add Stefan Stepanov - Albany Devils
- Griffins Face Test from South Division - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Host "Big Brothers Big Sisters Day" this Sunday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Vote Now For Stevens Jewelers Diamond In The Rough Award - Springfield Falcons
- Amerks' Five-Game Win Streak Snapped in 3-2 Loss to Heat - Rochester Americans
- Oilers Recall Mark Arcobello - Oklahoma City Barons
- Gallant Agrees to Entry-Level Deal - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals to Donate $2 from All Tickets to Children's Hospital February 17 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Admirals Hope to Pick up Where They Left off at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Rivermen Extend Point Streak to Five - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens 2013-14 Season and 2013 Calder Cup Playoff Tickets to Go on Sale Sunday - Binghamton Senators
- Haydar's Hat Trick and Sweatt's OT Winner Lead Wolves Past Peoria - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals to Host Donald Driver February 15 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Rangers Assign Forward Brandon Mashinter to Connecticut - Connecticut Whale
- Anaheim Returns Devante Smith-Pelly to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Audy-Marchessault Assigned To Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Dallas Reassigned Tyler Beskorowany to Idaho - Texas Stars
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Kick off Anti-Bullying Campaign - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks Launch "Sweets in Your Seats" Valentine's Day Pack - Rochester Americans
- Bruins Take You Can Play Pledge - Providence Bruins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Texas Takes Down Houston, Continues To Lead The Ahl - Texas Stars
- Houston Aeros Fall to Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.