Riptide come back to win nightcap 10-0
Lowell, Ma -July 5th- The New England Riptide mounted a comeback in the first game of today's doubleheader that fell just short. In the nightcap they made sure nothing like that would happen as they scored early and often as they cruised to a 10-0 win over the Chinese Taipei Olympic team. Eileen Canney was brilliant against the Chinese allowing only two hits (including a lead off bunt single) and two walks while striking out ten to increase her league leading total to 72. Canney is now 6-5 on the season.
The Riptide jumped out on starter Lai Sheng Jung with two outs in the first. Lyndsey Angus hit a double to straight away center just below the 235' sign and scored on Carmen Paez's line drive single to right to give the Riptide a 1-0 lead after one. They put it away in the third with six more runs on seven hits, all singles as they sent 12 batters to the plate. To make matters worse for the Chinese they added their final three in the fourth.
Every Riptide player got into the act during the 14 hit attack. Lyndsey Angus led the way going three for three with a double. Angus was five for six during the doubleheader. Jess Merchant had a double, single and walk to go two for three and Carmen Paez duplicated Merchant. Jackie Pasquerella and Shanel Scott also had two hits each. Both ten runs and 14 hits are the highest totals for the season for the Riptide.
The teams play game three on Sunday at 5:05 and the final game on Monday at 7:05. The Riptide then play an away/home series with the Akron Racers, returning to Martin Softball Field for the home portion on July 16th.
• Discuss this story on the National Pro Fastpitch message board...
National Pro Fastpitch Stories from July 5, 2008
- Washington Glory Lose 4-3 To Chicago Bandits - Washington Glory
- Chicago Bandits one hit Washington Glory, win 4-3 - Chicago Bandits
- Force lose to Racers in extra innings - Philadelphia Force
- Riptide come back to win nightcap 10-0 - New England Riptide
- First of Day/Night Doubleheader Against Chinese Taipei Results in Loss 5-4 - New England Riptide
- Serrano Fans 14 In Glory Victory - Washington Glory
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.