Richard, Melnyk Receive League Honors
The Twin City Cyclones professional ice hockey team, proud member of the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL), is pleased to announce that Michael Richard and Donald Melnyk have both received SPHL regular season awards for the 2008-2009 season.
Forward Michael Richard has been named the SPHL Rookie of the Year. The native of St. Constant, Quebec recorded 72 (29 goals, 43 assists) points in this, his rookie season with the Cyclones. Richard was previously acknowledged as the SPHL Player of the Month for January when he posted 24 points in 13 games. This is second time that a Cyclones' player has been recognized as SPHL Rookie of the Year. Taylor Hustead was selected for the award for the 2007-2008 season.
Forward Donald Melnyk also received league honors, as he was named to the SPHL's First Team All-Stars. Melnyk posted 77 points (26 goals, 51 assists) during this past season. Originally from The Pas, Manitoba, Melnyk was acquired from the Richmond Renegades last summer.
The Cyclones are proud of both players' accomplishments.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2009
- FireAntz vs. Cottonmouths: At-A-Glance - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Four Snakes Receive SPHL Honors - Columbus Cottonmouths
- Kauffeldt Named SPHL MVP - SPHL
- Snakes to Face FireAntz in First-Round Action - Columbus Cottonmouths
- Richard, Melnyk Receive League Honors - Twin City Cyclones
- SPHL Playoffs Set - Huntsville Havoc
- St. Vincent Named SPHL Player of the Month - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Sich Named SPHL Player of the Week - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Renegades Named SPHL Award Winners - Richmond Renegades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.