RGV Vipers & RGV FC Distribute over 5,000 Books in Drive-Thru Giveaway in Partnership with South Texas Literacy Coalition
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers and Rio Grande Valley FC in partnership with South Texas Literacy Coalition hosted a Holiday Book Drive-Thru Giveaway where more than 8,000 books were given to 1,471 children of the Rio Grande Valley.
Children of ages 18 and under from across the Valley were able to take home their very own at-home library that consisted of five books per child.
"Through the pandemic we've been able to do a lot of things for the RGV community," said Hondo Candelaria, Vice President of Vipers and Toros. "We know how reading can impact our lives, so we hope that children are able to enjoy their own at-home library that South Texas Literacy Coalition was able to provide."
South Texas Literacy Coalition is a non-profit organization that enhances and enriches the quality of life for our region with literacy, outreach, and programming through community partnerships that lead to more literate communities. They believe that reading is the foundation for all future learning. They wish to inspire a community of lifelong readers through serving as leaders in the community by creating awareness on the issue of literacy.
"When we look at books from an educational standpoint, it goes such a long way with the support from families," said Jonathan Vasquez, Associate Director of South Texas Literacy Coalition. "Often times kids associate books, reading and school in a negative way and what we try to do is create a positive, fun and engaging environment for the children using the books. This helps children see books in a positive matter."
In addition, South Texas Literacy Coalition advocates for awareness, funding and supporting a more literate population, increasing family involvement in literacy activities, and engaging with volunteers and local organizations to expand their public presence. "They can read and write and enjoy it when it comes to education and the rest of their lives will be so much simpler."
For more information on South Texas Literacy Coalition, please visit http://www.southtexasliteracycoalition.org.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 14, 2020
- RGV Vipers & RGV FC Distribute over 5,000 Books in Drive-Thru Giveaway in Partnership with South Texas Literacy Coalition - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Greensboro Swarm, Academy Sports + Outdoors Treat Local Nonprofits with Annual Holiday Shopping Spree - Greensboro Swarm
- RGV Vipers and Academy Sports & Outdoors Surprise DHR Certified Nurse Assistants - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers Extend Winning Streak to Four with Win over Iowa
- Porter Jr. Earns NBA G League Player of the Week for Week 3
- Hernandez to Join RGV Via Trade
- Porter Jr. Records First Triple-Double of G League Season in Vipers Big Win over BayHawks
- Lamb Joins RGV from Canton Charge