Republic FC Signs Three Rising Youth Academy Talents to First Team Contracts
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Three rising Republic FC Academy players will continue their path to playing professional soccer by signing USL Academy contracts, making them eligible to join Republic FC's first team for USL matches. The club's strong development pipeline continues to generate players for first team competition, as well as produce skilled players to join the U.S. national youth and senior programs. Since 2017, twelve academy standouts have signed USL Academy contracts, including Hayden Sargis and Mario Penagos who signed professional Republic FC contracts earlier this year.
Goalkeeper Diego Ramos, defender Aris Yang and midfielder Julian Chavez will sign USL Academy contracts making them eligible to be included in the club's 23-man roster for Saturday's home opener against FC Tulsa, pending league and federation approval. The trio joined the first team for 2020 training camp in preparation for the season, earning valuable minutes against MLS, USL and NISA clubs.
"Our Academy continues to produce quality players and quality human beings, and it is a big credit to Diego, Aris and Julian to have earned these contracts following a very successful six-week preseason with our first team," Republic FC General Manager Todd Dunivant said. "We will continue to prioritize and nurture our development pipeline, which we think can be a big advantage for our club now and in the future."
'USL Academy' contracts allow SRFC Academy players the chance to play with the first team in professional matches, while retaining their NCAA eligibility by preserving their amateur status.
Ramos, a 17-year old goalkeeper, has been a part of Republic FC's development pipeline through the academy since 2018. He signed a USL Academy contract with the Indomitable Club last year, and made appearances against Liga MX side FC Juarez and Club America's U-20 team. He also earned a spot on the game day 18-man roster for five consecutive USL Championship matches.
Yang, a 17-year old right back, joined Republic FC's academy in 2016. During his four Academy seasons, Aris logged 81 starts over 104 games. During Republic FC's 2020 training camp, Aris was inserted into the starting XI against MLS Cup defending champion Seattle Sounders.
Chavez, a 17-year old midfielder has spent five years in the club's academy and joins the first team following a 2019-2020 academy season netting six goals in only 12 USSDA matches. Since 2016 he has netted 37 career goals in 93 academy appearances.
Last year, Republic FC signed five players to USL Academy contracts, including Ramos. Two of those players, Hayden Sargis and Mario Penagos, have joined the first team rosters on their first full professional contract.
Republic FC kick off the 2020 USL Championship season against FC Tulsa on Saturday, March 7, at 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 6, 2020
- 901 FC to Air Locally on CW30 - Memphis 901 FC
- SD Loyal Announces Sold out Inaugural Match - San Diego Loyal
- Republic FC Signs Three Rising Youth Academy Talents to First Team Contracts - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs Opens Title Defense Saturday at San Antonio FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Lights FC Signs El Salvadornational Team Member Junior Burgos - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Here's Your Chance to Make "Soccer Jersey Design" History - Las Vegas Lights FC
- San Antonio FC Signs Goalkeeper Carlos Mercado - San Antonio FC
- Expect Fireworks During the Games, Too, as Orange County Begins 2020 Season - Orange County SC
- Home Kit Revealed for 2020 Memphis 901 FC Season - Memphis 901 FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance vs. Reno 1868 FC - Friday, March 6, 2020 - Tacoma Defiance
- Loudoun United FC Sign Forward Josh Fawole - Loudoun United FC
- SD Loyal Adds Trio of Players Before March 7 Inaugural Match - San Diego Loyal
- San Antonio FC Announces Fox Sports Southwest Schedule for 2020 Season - San Antonio FC
- FC Tulsa Launches First-Ever Official Club App Available on App Store and Google Play Stores - FC Tulsa
- Phoenix Rising Opens 2020 Regular Season against Portland Timbers 2 - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLFC Announces Partnership with Greenlight - Saint Louis FC
- Switchbacks FC Sign Will Vint on Loan from Colorado Rapids - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- 2020 Season Preview - OKC Energy FC
- Philadelphia Union II Acquire Midfielder Jack McGlynn - Philadelphia Union II
- San Antonio FC Adds Defender Axel Sjoberg on Loan from Columbus Crew SC - San Antonio FC
- Energy FC and Ssm Health St. Anthony Announce Partnership - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: #NYvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Riverhounds SC Announces 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- USL Championship Gears up for History-Making 10th Season - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC, Raley's Partnership Grows With Jersey Sleeve Sponsorship
- Republic FC to Resume USL Season at Home on Monday, July 13
- Republic FC Sign Rafael Jauregui to USL Academy Contract
- In Case You Missed It: Republic FC to Resume 16-Game Season with New Regional Group Play
- Special Republic FC "Indomitable City" Scarf to Benefit Free Grocery Delivery for Vulnerable, Home-bound Seniors