Republic FC Moves Step Closer to Clinching Home Playoffs Match
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Cameron Iwasa's 15th goal of the season earned Republic FC three points at home over Portland Timbers 2 on Saturday night. The win moved Sacramento up to third place in the Western Conference with three games remaining in the regular season.
Iwasa opened the scoring for the home side in the sixth-minute when he headed home a cross from Elliott Hord. The goal extended Iwasa's club record-breaking tally for most goals scored in one season.
Villyan Bijev had a chance to double Republic FC's lead in the 17th minute, but T2 goalkeeper Kendall McIntosh made a point-blank save on the Bulgarian's header.
Portland had a chance to level the score in the 34th minute on a corner kick, but Josh Cohen continued his streak of game-preserving saves to deny Andre Lewis on his shot.
Late into the second half, T2 defender Nathan Smith was ejected from the game after receiving his second yellow card of the night, resulting leaving his side down to 10 men with a quarter-hour to play.
Sacramento attempted to capitalize on the advantage and had back-to-back chances from Bijev with two minutes left, but was unable to extend the home side's lead.
Iwasa's goal ultimately proved enough for Republic FC to take home all three points in front of a sellout crowd at Papa Murphy's Park. The win moved the club up to third in the West with 56 points and a game in hand over fourth-place Real Monarchs SLC (54 points) and fifth-place Timbers 2 (52 points).
Republic FC returns to Papa Murphy's Park next Wednesday, October 3, to take on sixth-place Swope Park Rangers as they seek to clinch home-field advantage in the USL Playoffs. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. and tickets are available via Ticketmaster.com. The match will be broadcast live on KQCA My58, Estrella TV (Spanish), ESPN+, Sports 1140 KHTK.
Sacramento Republic FC 1 - 0 Portland Timbers 2
Papa Murphy's Park - Sacramento, CA
September 29, 2018
Attendance: 11,569 (sell-out)
Scoring Summary: Cameron Iwasa 6.
Misconduct Summary: POR - Nathan Smith (caution) 58, Nathan Smith (caution + ejection) 74, Renzo Zambrano (caution) 83. SAC - Cole Seiler (caution) 90.
Portland Timbers 2 - Kendall McIntosh, Adrian Diz Pe, Nathan Smith, Modou Jadama, Marco Farfan (Lamar Batista 82), Jack Barmby, Andre Lewis, Renzo Zambrano , Marvin Loría (Augustine Williams 61), Victor Arboleda (Harold Hanson 88), Foster Langsdorf.
Subs Not Used: Alec Mangels, Carlos Anguiano, Max Ornstil, Jimmy Mulligan.
Stats: Shots: 4, Shots on Goal: 2, Saves: 4, Fouls: 16, Corner Kick: 3, Offsides: 1.
Sacramento Republic FC - Josh Cohen, Mitchell Taintor, Elliot Hord, Emrah Klimenta, Shannon Gomez, Villyan Bijev, Jure Matjasic (Christian Eissele 61), Hayden Partain (Cole Seiler 85), Jeremy Hall , Keven Aleman (Wilson Kneeshaw 79), Cameron Iwasa.
Subs Not Used: Rafael Diaz, Justin Schmidt, Luis Espino, Josh Turnley.
Stats: Shots: 13, Shots on Goal: 5, Saves: 3, Fouls: 15, Corner Kicks: 4, Offsides: 3.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 30, 2018
- Fury FC Earn Big Point Towards Playoffs in Draw with Bethlehem - Ottawa Fury FC
- Defense Leads Bethlehem Steel FC to Clean Sheet Draw at Ottawa - Bethlehem Steel FC
- T2 Fall 1-0 to Sacramento Republic FC Saturday - Portland Timbers 2
- Despite Stellar Effort in Debut from Las Vegas Native Thomas Olsen, Lights FC Falls to OKC Energy FC, 1-0 - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Phoenix Rising Clinches Home Playoff Match After 2-0 Win over Saint Louis - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 Away to Phoenix Rising FC - Saint Louis FC
- Republic FC Moves Step Closer to Clinching Home Playoffs Match - Sacramento Republic FC
- Roughnecks Blanked in Reno 2-0 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Nashville SC Earns Important Point in Wild 1-1 Draw - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Battle to the End in Defeat against FC Cincinnati, 3-0 - Indy Eleven
- S2 Falls 3-1 at San Antonio FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Real Monarchs SLC Shutout by Switchbacks FC 2-0 - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Defeats Seattle 3-1 to Continue Playoff Push - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC Surge to 6-0 Rout of Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Republic FC Launch "#WatchMe" Community Initiative to Empower Local Female Athletes & Coaches
- Republic FC to Host Club America U20s in an International Friendly
- Republic FC's July 6th Friendly Against Lobos BUAP Postponed Indefinitely
- Republic FC Launch "Thank You Coaches" Program