STLFC Falls 2-0 Away to Phoenix Rising FC
PHOENIX, Az. - Saint Louis FC fell 2-0 to Phoenix Rising FC in front of 6,377 fans at Phoenix Rising Soccer Complex in Match 33 of the USL Regular Season.
Saint Louis FC came into the match only needing 4 points to guarantee a playoff spot with San Antonio FC's win earlier in the evening, so a draw would have been a decent result against the second-place team in the USL Western Conference. However, Phoenix Rising FC would break the deadlock in the 82nd minute through substitute Billy Forbes and double their advantage in second half stoppage time with a free kick from Chris Cortez to claim all three points. Saint Louis FC falls to 13-9-10 and remains on 49 points while Phoenix Rising FC improves to 19-7-5 with 62 points in the USL Western Conference.
The first half saw Phoenix Rising create a majority of the chances with the first arriving in the 1st minute as Gladson Awako forced a diving save out of STLFC goalkeeper Tomas Gomez with a shot from the top of the box. STLFC would respond with a counter attack in the 4th minute that resulted in a Kadeem Dacres effort that was collected by Phoenix goalkeeper Carl Woszczynski. Gomez would come up with two great saves to preserve his clean sheet going into halftime, the first on Solomon Asante's shot on a tight angle at the near post in the 20th minute before denying Amadou Dia with a kick save in the 23rd minute in a one-on-one situation as both teams were even at 0-0 going into the halftime break.
The second half saw Saint Louis FC grow into the game with a counter attack that was started by Kyle Greig and laid off to Joey Calistri and was then capped off by a Wal Fall shot that hit the post in the 50th minute. Gomez was then called into action seconds later to tip Didier Drogba's shot from about 30 yards over the crossbar. Gomez had another diving save in the 68th minute to deny Asanta again from finding the bottom corner. However, the STLFC defense could not hold out as substitute Forbes collected the ball from a turnover at the top of the box caused by former Saint Louis FC player James Musa and his shot flew past Gomez for the game winner in the 82nd minute. Fellow-substitute Cortez would then add another in stoppage time with a curling free kick to insure the win as Phoenix Rising FC looks to claim first-place in the USL Western Conference.
"Disappointed for the players as they worked so hard tonight," said STLFC Head Coach Anthony Pulis. "Unfortunately, we were the masters of our own downfall in the last 10 minutes by gifting them two incredibly soft goals. However, we're still in a good position as destiny is in our own hands with two home games remaining."
Saint Louis FC vs. Tulsa Roughnecks FC - Wednesday, October 10th at 7:00 p.m. CT at Toyota Stadium
Phoenix Rising FC vs. Reno 1868 FC - Saturday, October 6th at 9:30 p.m. CT at Phoenix Rising Soccer Complex
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 30, 2018
- Fury FC Earn Big Point Towards Playoffs in Draw with Bethlehem - Ottawa Fury FC
- Defense Leads Bethlehem Steel FC to Clean Sheet Draw at Ottawa - Bethlehem Steel FC
- T2 Fall 1-0 to Sacramento Republic FC Saturday - Portland Timbers 2
- Despite Stellar Effort in Debut from Las Vegas Native Thomas Olsen, Lights FC Falls to OKC Energy FC, 1-0 - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Phoenix Rising Clinches Home Playoff Match After 2-0 Win over Saint Louis - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 Away to Phoenix Rising FC - Saint Louis FC
- Republic FC Moves Step Closer to Clinching Home Playoffs Match - Sacramento Republic FC
- Roughnecks Blanked in Reno 2-0 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Nashville SC Earns Important Point in Wild 1-1 Draw - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Battle to the End in Defeat against FC Cincinnati, 3-0 - Indy Eleven
- S2 Falls 3-1 at San Antonio FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Real Monarchs SLC Shutout by Switchbacks FC 2-0 - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Defeats Seattle 3-1 to Continue Playoff Push - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saint Louis FC Stories
- STLFC Renews Partnership with KTRS 550 AM
- STLFC Away at Loudoun United FC Rescheduled
- STLFC Draws 1-1 against Austin Bold FC in Preseason Friendly
- STLFC Hosts U.S. Soccer Grassroots License Course
- "Meet the Team" Exclusive Season Ticket Member Preseason Game Announced