Republic FC Exercises Contract Options to Begin Building 2020 Roster
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sacramento Republic FC announced today it has exercised contract options on a trio of players as the club builds its roster ahead of its seventh United Soccer League season.
Republic FC picked up the options of defenders Matt Mahoney and Juan Barahona, as well as midfielder Dariusz Formella. "Our roster in 2020 will be designed to compete for a USL championship while also developing players for 2022 and beyond," said Republic FC General Manager Todd Dunivant. "With this strong foundation, we will continue to enhance our roster for the upcoming season."
Republic FC declined contract options on the following players, and they will not return for the 2020 season: defenders Elliott Hord and Charalampos Chantzopoulos; and midfielders Ray Saari and Hayden Partain. Republic FC remains engaged in contract talks with several players excited about the opportunity to return to or join the club as it continues to build for a bright future. Additional roster announcements and player transactions will be announced throughout December.
Defender Matt Mahoney is fresh off his first season with Republic FC where he made 22 appearances, 14 starts and racked up 1,388 minutes in league play this season. The 24-year-old provided one assist and scored two goals in 2019 with his second being a dramatic 89th minute header to level the match, 2-2, against archrivals LA Galaxy II on October 2. Mahoney previously played with Bethlehem Steel FC where he led the club in clearances (150), interceptions (81), tackles won (48), duels won (196), and aerial duels won (102).
Defender Juan Barahona signed with Sacramento in early-May this season from El Salvadoran club, Santa Tecla, wherein six seasons he lifted four league titles and two domestic cups. This season, the left back made 21 appearances, started 18 games and played a total of 1,571 minutes in the SRFC defense. Barahona provided three assists, two of which were game-winners against Portland Timbers 2 on July 13 and San Antonio FC on August 3. The 23-year-old was called up to the El Salvador Men's National Team on two separate occasions this season.
Midfielder Dariusz Formella joined the boys in Old Glory Red in mid-July from Polish-club RakÃ³w CzÄstochowa. In his home country of Poland, Formella won a league title and two Polish SuperCups with Lech Poznan, as well as the Polish Cup with Arka Gdynia. The Polish playmaker made 12 appearances in 2019 with SRFC, starting three games and adding one assist. His two goals this season, both game-winners, were in consecutive matches in mid-September against Austin Bold FC on the 12, a 2-1 win, followed by a 2-1 victory over Rio Grande Valley FC just three days later.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 2, 2019
- Republic FC Exercises Contract Options to Begin Building 2020 Roster - Sacramento Republic FC
- Las Vegas Lights FC Announce Initial 2020 Season Roster Moves - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Macklin Robinson Back in 2020 - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Defender Sam Strong Joins Hartford Athletic - Hartford Athletic
- Steve Cooke Named Director of Soccer Development - Phoenix Rising FC
- Hartford Athletic Signs Defender Sam Strong - Hartford Athletic
- Rowdies Sign Yann Ekra - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Returning for 2021: Wheeler-Omiunu Bringing Some Bite to SRFC Midfield
- Around the Leagues: Holiday Weekend Showcasing Great Slate of Soccer
- Returning for 2021: Villarreal Patrols, Protects Central Pitch
- Team Store Website to Help with Holiday Gift Needs
- Returning for 2021: Diaz's Calming Presence Anchors the Defense