Reds Shut out Royals 2-0 in Series Finale
Burlington, N.C. - With the chance to clinch a postseason berth, the Royals fell short in a 2-0 loss to the Reds.
With two outs in the top of the fourth, Greeneville struck first and took a 1-0 lead on a Jose Tello RBI single up the middle.
Meanwhile, Burlington's offense was at a screeching halt thanks to right-handed pitcher Randy Wynne. Starting with an immaculate first inning, the 26-year-old dealt 17 strikeouts in eight innings while only surrendering one hit.
The Reds added one more run in the top of the ninth when Garrett Wolforth scored on a wild pitch.
Wynne (3-2) earned the win for Greeneville while Burlington starter Marlin Willis (1-1) took the loss. Tanner Cooper (2) earned the save following a scoreless ninth.
The Royals hit the road on Wednesday to start a quick two-game series against the Braves. First pitch is bright and early at 11:30 a.m.
Single-game tickets are on sale now. Call 336-222-0223 or visit www.burlingtonroyals.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 21, 2019
- E-Twins Lose Lead in 8th, Fall 3-2 to Cardinals - Elizabethton Twins
- Anderson Hurls Yankees past Pirates - Pulaski Yankees
- K-Mets Take Opener over G-Reds at Pioneer Park - Greeneville Reds
- Yankees Outlast Pirates, 6-2 - Bristol Pirates
- Cardinals Set Single-Season Franchise Attendance Record - Johnson City Cardinals
- Reds Shut out Royals 2-0 in Series Finale - Burlington Royals
- Red-Hot D-Braves Win for Sixth Time in Seven Games - Danville Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Burlington Royals Stories
- "Keep Hope. Never Give Up." the Mission Statement of Kort Peterson's Life
- After Losing his Mom, Brhet Bewley Hears her Every Step of the Way
- New Ownership & Front Office of the Burlington Royals AnnouncedÃÂ
- For the Health of the Players, and Love for the Game... That's Brad Groleau.
- Royals Agree to Terms with 14 Players on Contracts for 2020