Reds Shut out Royals 2-0 in Series Finale
Burlington, N.C. - With the chance to clinch a postseason berth, the Royals fell short in a 2-0 loss to the Reds.
With two outs in the top of the fourth, Greeneville struck first and took a 1-0 lead on a Jose Tello RBI single up the middle.
Meanwhile, Burlington's offense was at a screeching halt thanks to right-handed pitcher Randy Wynne. Starting with an immaculate first inning, the 26-year-old dealt 17 strikeouts in eight innings while only surrendering one hit.
The Reds added one more run in the top of the ninth when Garrett Wolforth scored on a wild pitch.
Wynne (3-2) earned the win for Greeneville while Burlington starter Marlin Willis (1-1) took the loss. Tanner Cooper (2) earned the save following a scoreless ninth.
The Royals hit the road on Wednesday to start a quick two-game series against the Braves. First pitch is bright and early at 11:30 a.m.
Single-game tickets are on sale now. Call 336-222-0223 or visit www.burlingtonroyals.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 21, 2019
- E-Twins Lose Lead in 8th, Fall 3-2 to Cardinals - Elizabethton Twins
- Anderson Hurls Yankees past Pirates - Pulaski Yankees
- K-Mets Take Opener over G-Reds at Pioneer Park - Greeneville Reds
- Yankees Outlast Pirates, 6-2 - Bristol Pirates
- Cardinals Set Single-Season Franchise Attendance Record - Johnson City Cardinals
- Reds Shut out Royals 2-0 in Series Finale - Burlington Royals
- Red-Hot D-Braves Win for Sixth Time in Seven Games - Danville Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.