Red Wolves Announce 2021 Start Date & Season Format
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - USL League One to begin play on or about May 8; 28-game regular season slate scheduled to run through October.
USL League One announced on Monday following the league's Board of Governors meeting that the 2021 regular season will begin on or about May 8 and will feature a 28-game slate running through October and culminating in a six-team playoff to take place in November.
"Starting the Red Wolves season in early May gives our great city and sports fans something exciting to look forward to," says President and GM Sean McDaniel. "Professional soccer is returning to the Scenic City very soon and will allow our community to cheer us on to a 2021 Championship."
In voting for a flexible start date, the Governors have approved for clubs to begin play as early as April 10th depending on conditions in their local communities. Further details and scheduling announcements will be made in the coming months and the league will continue to monitor the ongoing COVID-19 crisis in the event that alterations to the format need to be made.
"Now that we have a kick off date to look forward to, we can begin working with our local authorities to ensure a safe and secure environment at CHI Memorial Stadium as fans enjoy professional soccer is this great venue," says McDaniel.
While CHI Memorial Stadium was ready to hold professional matches in 2020 there are still many more building elements coming to Tennessee's first pro soccer stadium. The Executive Club and Sky Suites are currently under construction and lights, the Jumbotron and digital field runner boards are set to begin installation shortly.
"Last season was historical for many reasons, one of the brighter ones being the fact that we were able to safely open up and play in Tennessee's first professional soccer stadium, CHI Memorial Stadium, says McDaniel. "While CHI Memorial Stadium was already a top class professional stadium, there are many more additions on the way."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from January 25, 2021
- Forward Madison's Josiah Trimmingham to Play against U.S. National Team - Forward Madison FC
- USL League One Announces 2021 Season Format - FC Tucson
- Red Wolves Announce 2021 Start Date & Season Format - Chattanooga Red Wolves SC
- USL League One Announces 2021 Season Format - Greenville Triumph SC
- USL League One Announces 2021 Season Format - Richmond Kickers
- USL League One Announces 2021 Season Format - USL1
- Tormenta FC Announces 2021 USL League One Schedule Format - South Georgia Tormenta FC
- Forward Madison Set to Start Season in May - Forward Madison FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chattanooga Red Wolves SC Stories
- Chattanooga Signs Colombian Forward Juan Galindrez
- CHI Memorial Stadium to Feature Region's Largest Video Jumbotron Display
- Chattanooga Red Wolves Foundation Sponsors Urban League's Fireside Chats
- Chattanooga Signs Former USL Championship Forward Rafa Mentzingen
- Former USL Championship and 2019 Loanee Daniel Navarro Signs with Chattanooga