Red Wings Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
ROCHESTER, NY - The Rochester Red Wings today praised the newly created Save Minor League Baseball Task Force that has been organized by members of Congress to prevent Major League Baseball (MLB) from eliminating 42 minor league franchises, nearly one quarter of all minor league teams around the country.
"We appreciate the support of Rep. Lori Trahan (D.-Massachusetts), David McKinley (R-W.Va.) and the members of the task force in standing up for Minor League Baseball and speaking out against MLB's effort to cast off thousands of jobs, reduce affordable, family-friendly entertainment and undermine grassroots support for our great game," said Red Wings President/CEO/COO Naomi Silver. "We especially want to recognize Congressman Joe Morelle for the particular interest he has shown in support of Minor League Baseball."
While the Rochester Red Wings were not on the list of teams facing the possibility of elimination under the MLB proposal, the Wings will remain vigilant and united with all Minor League Baseball teams in opposition to the MLB plan.
Minor league teams are vital to the social and economic lives of millions of Americans; they support scores of local businesses and jobs, provide accessible entertainment, help promote tourism spending and donate tens of millions of dollars in charitable contributions.
"With this proposal, MLB appears willing to break the hearts of dozens of communities across the country," said Silver. "We are going to resist this plan and are gratified that so many in Congress are willing to join with us."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from December 4, 2019
- Mud Hens Praise Save Minor League Baseball Task Force - Toledo Mud Hens
- Red Wings Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Rochester Red Wings
- Norfolk Tides Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Charlotte Knights
- RailRiders Back Unwavering Support to Save Minor League Baseball - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Praise Congressional Effort to Save MiLB - Louisville Bats
- Buffalo Bisons Praise Congressional Efforts to Save Minor League Baseball - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Wings Host Food Drive to Benefit Boys & Girls Club
- With Announcements, More MiLB Teams Left Twisting in the Wind
- Washington Nationals Become the Red Wings New Major League Affiliate
- Red Wings Mystery Boxes for Sale
- Red Wings and Twins Affiliation Will Not be Renewed