Red Bulls Sign Midfielder Lloyd Sam to New Contract
HARRISON, NJ (Jan. 8, 2013) - The New York Red Bulls announced today have signed midfielder Lloyd Sam to a new contract.
"Lloyd showed our team and fans at the end of last season that he has the potential to be a very good player for us," said Red Bulls Sporting Director Andy Roxburgh. "We are happy to sign Lloyd, who is recovering well from his knee injury he sustained last year. He will be fit for preseason."
A native of Leeds, England, Sam, 28, joined the Red Bulls on Aug. 16, 2012 after most recently featuring for Notts County. Sam featured in five games, starting in two, and recorded one assist last year before suffering a season-ending PCL injury on Oct. 20.
Sam joined Notts County on loan from Leeds United in March 2012 and scored five goals in 10 appearances. From the 2010-11 season until his loan to Notts County, Sam played in 35 matches for Leeds, scoring twice.
Sam started his professional career with English side Charlton Athletic, then of the Premier League, in 2003 at the age of 18. He went on loan to Leyton Orient. Sam had two additional loan spells while with Charlton, spending time in 2006 with Sheffield Wednesday and in 2007 with Southend United. Sam became a fixture in Charlton's starting lineup beginning with the 2007-08 season in the Championship and continued there until his final season with the club in 2009-10. Overall, Sam made 119 appearances for Charlton, scoring six times.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 8, 2013
- Marco Schallibaum Announces Coaching Staff - Montreal Impact
- San Jose Earthquakes Duo Named to Honduras National Team Camp Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Forward Cam Weaver - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Re-Sign Defender Marvell Wynne - Colorado Rapids
- Martinez Called in to Honduras National Team - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Steven Evans as Second Homegrown Player - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Announce Samuel Archer as Winner of Open Tryout - Chicago Fire
- Three Players Sign New Contracts as Preseason Start Nears - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Sign Midfielder Lloyd Sam to New Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Formally Introduce New Head Coach Caleb Porter at Jeld-Wen Field - Portland Timbers
- Tickets to Sounders FC vs. Tigres Go on Sale Monday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Ryan Nelsen Named Toronto FC Head Coach - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Names Brent Erwin Assistant Coach - FC Dallas
- D.C. United, Annandale Boys & Girls Club and adidas Reach Affiliate Agreement - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Parts Ways with Mariner - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.