Red Bulls Defeat New York City FC 1-0 at Yankee Stadium
The New York Red Bulls (8-11-6, 30 points) defeated rivals New York City FC (11-9-6, 39 points), 1-0, on Saturday night at Yankee Stadium.
The Red Bulls opened the scoring in the match, when defender Kyle Duncan received a long ball in NYCFC's eighteen-yard box. After bringing the ball down, he crossed the ball in front of NYCFC's net and midfielder Omir Fernandez placed the ball in the bottom left corner to give the Red Bulls the lead.
New York won for the first time in Yankee Stadium since May 21, 2016, when they defeated NYCFC, 7-0.
The Red Bulls extended their unbeaten streak to three matches with the win, including two-straight road wins.
Fernandez scored his second goal of the season and the sixth of his career in his 50th MLS regular-season appearance for New York.
Since making his first start of the season on September 14, Fernandez leads the club in chances created (9), dribbles completed (7), and big chances created (2).
The Bronx, NY native scored his first career goal against rivals New York City FC and his first career MLS regular season game-winning goal.
Duncan tallied his third assist of the season. He has recorded an assist in two of his last three matches played.
The Red Bulls are 86-19-23 when scoring the first goal of the match since 2015, including an 8-5-3 mark this season.
Goalkeeper Carlos Coronel earned his eighth shutout of the season, which ranks fourth in MLS.
Coronel made four saves in the match and brought his season total to 74. He currently ranks sixth in MLS in saves this year.
New York are now 9-6-3 against NYCFC in MLS regular season history and have outscored them, 34-22.
Since 2015, the Red Bulls have the third most away wins in MLS with 33.
Following Saturday's match, New York returns to Red Bull Arena to face off against Philadelphia Union on Wednesday, September 29. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on MSG, MSG GO, and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish via TuneIn, the New York Red Bulls app and NewYorkRedBulls.com.
New York Red Bulls 1, New York City FC 0
2021 MLS Regular-Season Match 25
Saturday, September 25, 2021 - 8 p.m. ET
Yankee Stadium | Bronx, NY
NY - Omir Fernandez 2 (Duncan) 43'
NY - John Tolkin (caution, foul) 13'
NYC - James Sands (caution, foul) 62'
NYC - Valentin Castellanos (caution, foul) 75'
NY - Kyle Duncan (caution, foul) 85'
New York Red Bulls: Carlos Coronel; John Tolkin, Sean Nealis, Kyle Duncan, Tom Edwards (Andrés Reyes, 57'), Andrew Gutman, Sean Davis ©, Cristian Cásseres, Jr. (Daniel Royer, 86'), Dru Yearwood, Omir Fernandez (Wiki Carmona, 64'), Patryk Klimala (Tom Barlow, 57')
Unused Subs: Ryan Meara, Youba Diarra, Frankie Amaya, Caden Clark, Cameron Harper
TOTAL SHOTS: 16; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 19; POSSESSION: 35.1%; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 4
New York City FC: Sean Johnson, Anton Tinnerholm, Alexander Callens (Malte Amundsen, 68'), James Sands, Gudmundur Thorarinsson (Heber, 68'), Alfredo Morales, Maxi Moralez, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi (Jesus Medina, HT), Nicolas Acevedo (Thiago, 85'), Talles Magno (Santiago Rodriguez, HT), Valentin Castellanos
Unused Subs: Luis Barraza, Tayvon Gray, Gedion Zelalem, Tony Rocha
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 14; POSSESSION: 64.9%; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 7
Referee: Armando Villarreal
Assistant Referees: Cameron Blanchard, Logan Brown
4th Official: Marcos de Oliveira
VAR: Carol Anne Chenard
AVAR: Claudiu Badea
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 25, 2021
- D.C. United Win 4-2 to FC Cincinnati at Audi Field - D.C. United
- MNUFC Take 2-0 Win over Houston Dynamo - Minnesota United FC
- Red Bulls Defeat New York City FC 1-0 at Yankee Stadium - New York Red Bulls
- Colorado Rapids (0) - Toronto FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Dynamo Fall to Minnesota United 2-0 - Houston Dynamo FC
- CF Montréal Topped by Columbus - Club de Foot Montreal
- Revolution Defeat Orlando City SC, 2-1 - New England Revolution
- NYCFC Edged by Red BullsÃÂ - New York City FC
- Orlando City Falls to Top-Seeded New England Revolution - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls to Philadelphia Union 1-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Campeones Cup Community Event in Columbus Monday, September 27 - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Defeats Columbus Crew 2-1
- Red Bulls Travel to Lower.Com Field to Battle Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls Defeat New York City FC 1-0
- Red Bulls Welcome NYCFC to Red Bull Arena for Final New York Derby of 2021 Regular Season
- Red Bulls - Atlanta United Match Picked up by FS1 and FOX Deportes