Red Bulls Acquire Designated Player Slot, 2007 Draft Pick
SECAUCUS, NJ (Monday, November 27, 2006) - Red Bull New York announced today that they have acquired a Designated Player slot and a 2007 MLS SuperDraft third round pick from Chivas USA in exchange for midfielder Amado Guevara.
"Amado is a tremendous player and his contribution to our team in the past has been undeniable," said Red Bull New York Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena. "However, in the long run, by acquiring a second Designated Player slot as well as a third-round draft pick, it provides us the opportunity and mechanisms to improve our team over the next couple of years."
An initiative announced by MLS' Board of Governors on Nov. 11, the Designated Player Rule - designed to help attract high-profile players into the league - allows each team to sign one player whose salary will fall outside of the team salary budget and whose cost above the salary budget charge will be the financial responsibility of the club. A Designated Player's salary will count $400,000 toward the team's salary budget - an amount to be paid by the league. The club will pay for any amount over $400,000. Each team started out with one tradable Designated Player slot.
After the trade, Red Bull New York now has the MLS-mandated maximum of two Designated Player slots, with the second one counting $325,000 towards the team's salary budget.
Guevara was named Red Bulls' Team MVP in 2006, scoring eight goals and five assists. After joining New York in 2003 from Honduran club CD Motagua, Guevara made a total of 103 regular season appearances, including 100 starts, over four seasons. His most notable season came in 2004, when he earned the 2004 MLS MVP after recording 10 goals and 10 assists.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 27, 2006
- Chivas USA to face Necaxa this Friday in Aguascalientes, Mexico - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Wizards Announce New Head Coach Curt Onalfo - Sporting Kansas City
- Chivas USA acquires Amado Guevara in trade with New York Red Bulls - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Revolution Elects Not to Exercise Option on Abundis - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Acquire Designated Player Slot, 2007 Draft Pick - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Welcome Orlando City SC on Saturday
- Kemar Lawrence Joins Jamaica for CONCACAF Nations Qualification
- Injury Update: Florian Valot
- Red Bulls Roll Past San Jose, 4-1, in MLS Home Opener
- Match Preview: New York Hosts San Jose for MLS Home Opener