Record Setting Performance Earns Wildcats Darnell Kennedy af2's Offensive Player of the Week Honor
May 13, 2009, ALBANY, GA- After a record setting performance against the Kentucky Horsemen last Saturday night, South Georgia Wildcats QB Darnell Kennedy has been awarded the af2's Russell Athletic Offensive Player of the Week.
Kennedy (6-1, 190, Alabama State), in his first af2 season, continued his stellar play for South Georgia in the team's, 72-66, Week 7 home win against South Division foe Kentucky. The Alabama State alum threw for a season-high and career-best 374 yards on 25-of-41 passes (61 percent). Ten (10) of his 25 completions went for touchdowns to set a new South Georgia single-game record. His only blemish on the night was a third quarter interception. This is the second Offensive Player of the Week Award of Kennedy's career and his second in the past three weeks (Week 5). He has been a big reason behind the Wildcats early season success. South Georgia currently sits atop the South Division standings at 6-2, a half game ahead of second place Tennessee Valley (5-2). Kennedy is tied for the league lead in rushing touchdowns (11) and ranks fifth in passer rating (121.8). He is also tied for third in the league in TD passes (43).
"After the loss to Tennessee Valley, it was great to see the way that Darnell bounced back and led our team to victory," said South Georgia Wildcats Head Coach Rodney Blackshear. "He is maturing as quarterback with each and every game and it is great to his hard work paying off for him individually and for us a team."
The Wildcats next home game is Saturday, May 30th against the Bossier City-Shreveport Battlewings as the team salutes the Veterans and current military personnel for their brave service to our country. The Wildcats are encouraging all fans to wear white for a "white out". Individual and Season tickets are still available at incredible new prices by contacting the Wildcats box office at 229-435-2TIX. Don't miss out on the action!
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from May 13, 2009
- Sharks Game Notes - Corpus Christi Sharks
- New Packers Assistant Coach Selected as Honorary Captain - Green Bay Blizzard
- Record Setting Performance Earns Wildcats Darnell Kennedy af2's Offensive Player of the Week Honor - South Georgia Wildcats
- Wise, Kennedy, and Alexander Earn Week Seven Honors - af2
- Dorados Move Up Five Spots in Coaches Poll - Rio Grande Valley Dorados
- Albany Looks to Make it Three-Straight Wins Vs. Manchester - Albany Firebirds
- Shock Top Coaches Poll for Ninth Week Straight - af2
- Iron Host Tulsa Talons Friday Night - OSC Original by Mike Stuckmann
- Shock Top Coaches Poll For Ninth Straight Week - Spokane Shock
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.