Shock Top Coaches Poll for Ninth Week Straight
May 13, 2009 - arenafootball2 (af2) News Release
CHICAGO - The Spokane Shock have yet to let go of the No. 1 ranking so far this regular season, again earning the top spot in the Week 8 Coaches Poll, the arenafootball2 (af2) league office announced today. Spokane collected 382 of the 384 points possible and 22-of-25 first place votes in securing the top spot for the ninth consecutive week. Spokane (6-0), the only remaining undefeated team in the league, was tested on Saturday by division rival Boise but prevailed by two points, 64-62.
The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers (6-1, 335 points, 2 first place votes) maintained their spot at No. 2 after roughing up Mahoning Valley, 73-37. Tulsa moved into a tie with the Pioneers at No. 2 after the team's 75-56 Week 7 win against rival Oklahoma City. The Talons (6-1, 335 points, 1 first place vote) have won five straight games. The Tennessee Valley Vipers (5-2, 282 points) managed to jump one spot in the poll to No. 4 after their 44-36 road win at Corpus Christi. A new entry in the Top-5 this week is Rio Grande Valley. The Dorados (5-1, 264 points) made the largest leap in the polls this week, moving up five positions from No. 10 to No. 5 after a convincing 66-25 home win against Amarillo.
Each week during the season af2 coaches will vote for the Top 16 teams in the league by ranking them one through 16 on a ballot. Teams ranked first receive 16 points with the point value decreasing by one for each place below first, meaning a team ranked 16th would receive one point. Total points will determine the Top 16 list. In the event of a tie in total points, the team with the greater number of first-place votes will be ranked higher. The af2 Coaches Poll will be announced every Wednesday during the regular season. Coaches are not allowed to vote for their own team and the poll results have no bearing on postseason qualification. The complete Top 16 is listed below. The number in parentheses indicates the number of first place votes the team received.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from May 13, 2009
- Sharks Game Notes - Corpus Christi Sharks
- New Packers Assistant Coach Selected as Honorary Captain - Green Bay Blizzard
- Record Setting Performance Earns Wildcats Darnell Kennedy af2's Offensive Player of the Week Honor - South Georgia Wildcats
- Wise, Kennedy, and Alexander Earn Week Seven Honors - af2
- Dorados Move Up Five Spots in Coaches Poll - Rio Grande Valley Dorados
- Albany Looks to Make it Three-Straight Wins Vs. Manchester - Albany Firebirds
- Shock Top Coaches Poll for Ninth Week Straight - af2
- Iron Host Tulsa Talons Friday Night - OSC Original by Mike Stuckmann
- Shock Top Coaches Poll For Ninth Straight Week - Spokane Shock
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.