Real Salt Lake Names Ignacio "Nacho" Hernandez Goalkeeper Coach
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Salt Lake Head Coach Freddy Juarez announced today that the club has added Ignacio "Nacho" Hernandez as the club's goalkeeper coach. This will be his second stint in the organization after working with the RSL Academy from 2012-2015.
"I love Nacho's experience. He's worked at every level - he's worked with our Academy, he's worked in MLS, he's worked on the national team level. For me that was very important in having someone who can develop players, but also the experience of dealing with veteran international players," Juarez said. "He's an amazing person that is going to come to work with a smile on his face every day and that's important for the club culture. I've had experience working with him and it clicked. When you have that as a staff, it trickles down to the team."
After 15 seasons as a professional player in his native Mexico, suiting up for clubs like Atlante FC and Deportivo Toluca FC, Hernandez continued a career in soccer as a coach. After plying his trade in the Premier Development League as well as the youth and collegiate levels, he had his first stint on the international level with Costa Rica from 2002-2003. He would go on to coach with El Salvador (2006-2007) and the U.S. National Team in 2013, winning the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup. At the professional level, he coached under Sigi Schmid and Steve Sampson with the LA Galaxy from 2003-2005, winning the 2005 MLS Cup and Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. At the college level he added UCLA to his resume before his most recent stint from 2015-2020 with Cal Poly.
In each of his three seasons with the RSL Academy, RSL reached the USSDA Finals, winning in 2012.
"I belong with this organization," Hernandez said. "I've worked with RSL before and it was a great experience at the Academy level. I've always been really attached to this logo and feel a hunger for this team. We are here to contribute to the team and win games. That's the bottom line."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 12, 2021
- Inter Miami CF Partners with HYPE Sports Innovation to Solve the Sports Industry's Greatest Challenges for 2021 - Inter Miami CF
- Real Salt Lake Names Ignacio "Nacho" Hernandez Goalkeeper Coach - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Acquire Defender Jorge Villafana - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Acquire First-Round Pick in 2021 MLS SuperDraft from LA Galaxy in Exchange for Defender Jorge Villafana - Portland Timbers
- Impact Acquires Forward Sunusi Ibrahim - Club de Foot Montreal
- Timbers Sign Defender Larrys Mabiala to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Launch BMO Atlantic Canada Development Centre - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs RSL Academy Goalkeeper Jeff Dewsnup - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Selects Defender Bret Halsey to Highlight 2021 MLS SuperDraft Class
- Real Salt Lake Parts Ways with Assistant Coach Matt Glaeser
- Real Salt Lake Basketball Academy Welcomes Top Recruit Dravyn Gibbs-Lawhorn
- Real Salt Lake Names Ignacio "Nacho" Hernandez Goalkeeper Coach
- Real Salt Lake Signs RSL Academy Goalkeeper Jeff Dewsnup