Timbers Sign Defender Larrys Mabiala to Multi-Year Contract Extension
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced that the club has signed defender Larrys Mabiala to a multi-year contract extension.
"Larrys is a quality, proven player in MLS and a leader in the locker room who provides valuable experience and knowledge of the league," said Gavin Wilkinson, general manager and president of soccer for the Timbers. "We are thrilled that Larrys and his family will continue to call Portland home."
Since joining Portland in 2017 from Kayserispor in the Turkish first division, Mabiala, 33, has recorded nine goals and two assists in 99 appearances (97 starts) across all competitions for the Timbers. With Portland, Mabiala has made 83 regular-season appearances (81 starts), tallying eight goals and two assists. In postseason play, Mabiala has appeared in seven matches (7 starts), starting and playing in MLS Cup in 2018.
"We feel very excited that Larrys will continue to be part of the Portland Timbers family," said Giovanni Savarese, head coach of the Timbers. "He is a veteran defender who is a strong leader on and off the field. His quality as a player will continue to contribute to the Timbers' success."
In 2020, Mabiala featured in 22 games (20 starts) in all competitions, recording two goals and one assist. Mabiala started and played all 90 minutes in six of Portland's seven matches in the MLS is Back Tournament, scoring a goal in the club's 2-1 win against Orlando City in the MLS is Back Tournament Final. Notably, Mabiala was one of four Timbers players named to the MLS is Back Tournament Best XI.
"I am very happy to renew my contract here with the Portland Timbers and it wouldn't be possible without my family," said Mabiala. "I'm so blessed to extend my journey with such an incredible organization from top to bottom, which includes the front office and the coaching staff, and getting to work every day with my teammates. I'm focused on putting in the work to bring another trophy to the Rose City."
At the international level, Mabiala has made nine appearances (9 starts) for the Democratic Republic of the Congo National Team, starting in six 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying matches, while also making two appearances (2 starts) in the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations and a friendly appearance in 2008.
Transaction: Portland Timbers sign defender Larrys Mabiala to a multi-year contract extension on Jan. 12, 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 12, 2021
- Inter Miami CF Partners with HYPE Sports Innovation to Solve the Sports Industry's Greatest Challenges for 2021 - Inter Miami CF
- Real Salt Lake Names Ignacio "Nacho" Hernandez Goalkeeper Coach - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Acquire Defender Jorge Villafana - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Acquire First-Round Pick in 2021 MLS SuperDraft from LA Galaxy in Exchange for Defender Jorge Villafana - Portland Timbers
- Impact Acquires Forward Sunusi Ibrahim - Club de Foot Montreal
- Timbers Sign Defender Larrys Mabiala to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Launch BMO Atlantic Canada Development Centre - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs RSL Academy Goalkeeper Jeff Dewsnup - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers to Begin 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Tournament Play in April
- Timbers Select Two Players in Final Two Rounds of 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Timbers Acquire $100,000 in General Allocation Money from Orlando City SC in Exchange for Eighth Overall Pick in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Timbers Complete Transfer of Chilean International Forward Felipe Mora from Pumas UNAM
- Timbers Acquire First-Round Pick in 2021 MLS SuperDraft from LA Galaxy in Exchange for Defender Jorge Villafana