Real Monarchs SLC Splits Points with El Paso Locomotive FC in Scoreless Draw
EL PASO, Texas - - Real Monarchs SLC (8-6-4, 28 points) played El Paso Locomotive FC to another scoreless draw in its first visit to Southwest University Park on Saturday.
GK Andrew Putna made four saves throughout the night to earn the third consecutive clean sheet for the Monarchs.
The opening minutes saw El Paso Locomotive FC take control and put the Real Monarchs defense on its heels. With three corners within the first 15 minutes, El Paso nearly found the opening goal through striker Richie Ryan, whose headed effort was denied easily by Putna. The Monarchs started to find its rhythm in the later part of the half with good build up play that provided FW Lionel Etoundi with a strong opportunity that was just shut out by an El Paso defender.
After the break, El Paso resumed its heavy attack and saw the Monarchs backline do well to stave off the attack as DF Stanley Okumu acted as a thorn in the side of the Locos offense. The Monarchs began generating opportunities after the 70th minute as FW Kyle Coffee was able to get in behind in the penalty area but was brought down. Monarchs players called for a penalty but it was waved off by referee Calin Radosav. MF Jack Blake found another chance for an opening goal, but his shot just took a miss touch on the ball to send it over. Ultimately, neither side found the edge as the match ended without a goal to show.
UP NEXT: Real Monarchs SLC plays again in Texas when it heads to San Antonio to face San Antonio FC. The match is scheduled for next Saturday, July 27, where kickoff from Toyota Field is set for 6:30 p.m. MT.
KEY SAVES AND DEFENSIVE STOPS
SLC: Andrew Putna, 12th minute: El Paso Locomotive earned a corner kick which lobbed to the far post where it found Richie Ryan unmarked at the far post. Ryan's headed effort nearly found an early opener but Putna answered the call and made the save look easy.
SLC: Andrew Putna, 66th minute: From distance, an El Paso Locomotive attacker fired a low shot that sought to find the bottom corner. Putna came up big, answering the call again by diving to the post and making the fingertip save.
ELP: Jermaine Fordah, 79th minute: Shortly after forward Kyle Coffee subbed in to the match, he made an attacking run and found a small window within the Locomotive backline. Coffee took advantage and registered the only shot on goal for the Monarchs on the night, which Fordah got in front of for the save.
- FW Douglas Martinez was missing from Monarchs action after answering the call to the Honduran U-23 camp for 2020 Olympic qualifiers and the Pan American Games.
- MF Jack Blake made his return to the Starting XI for the first time since picking up an injury in early May.
- GK Andrew Putna made four saves throughout the night to shutout the El Paso attack and earn Real Monarchs its third consecutive clean sheet to help push the Monarchs to six games undefeated.
Match: Real Monarchs SLC at El Paso Locomotive FC
Date: July 20, 2019
Venue: Southwest University Park; El Paso, Texas
Weather: Clear skies and 100 degrees
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
Real Monarchs SLC 0 0 0
El Paso Locomotive FC 0 0 0
Real Monarchs SLC (4-2-3-1): Andrew Putna; Stanley Okumu, Konrad Plewa, Noah Powder, James Moberg; Luis Palma (Kalen Ryden, 82'), Jack Blake, Maikel Chang, Justin Portillo, Luis Arriaga (Kyle Coffee, 57'); Lionel Etoundi(Steve Jasso, 92')
Subs not used: Evan Finney, Jordan Pena, Sam Brown, Julian Vazquez
El Paso Locomotive FC (4-4-3): Jermaine Fordah; Bryam Rebellón, Andrew Fox, James Kiffe, Drew Beckie; Richie Ryan, Nick Ross, Sebastian Velasquez; Louis Herrera, Derek Gebhard (Sebastián Contreras, 78'), Omar Salgado (Edson Partida, 78')
Subs not used: Moses Makinde, Chiró N'Toko, Guillermo Diaz, Javier Beker
Stats Summary: SLC/ELP
Shots: 4 / 17
Shots on Goal: 1 / 5
Saves: 4 / 1
Corner Kicks: 13 / 2
Fouls: 13 / 7
Offside: 0 / 3
SLC - Stanley Okumu (Caution) 21'
SLC - Luis Palma (Caution) 42'
SLC - Justin Portillo (Caution) 48'
Referee: Calin Radosav
Assistant Referees: Noah Kenyawani, Francisco Bermudez
4th Official: Marco Vega
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 20, 2019
- T2 Fall 2-1 on the Road to Fresno FC Saturday Night - Portland Timbers 2
- Real Monarchs SLC Splits Points with El Paso Locomotive FC in Scoreless Draw - Real Monarchs SLC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Royally Dominates in Draw against Real Monarchs - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Switchbacks FC Win Second Consecutive Game at Weidner Field - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Unbeaten Streak Reaches Four Games with Draw at Orange County - San Antonio FC
- Reno Wins Fifth Straight to Move to 11-4-5 - Reno 1868 FC
- Adams Late Goal Earns RGV FC Three Points at Home - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Legion FC Earns Resounding Win over Atlanta - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Earns Point against Second-Place New York Red Bulls II - Memphis 901 FC
- Steel FC picks up first all-time win over Louisville City - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Rowdies Beat Saint Louis 4-1 - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- STLFC Falls 4-1 to Conference Leaders Tampa Bay Rowdies - Saint Louis FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 4-0 at Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United 2
- Hounds Victorious, Defeat North Carolina, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Republic FC Fall 1-2 to Rio Grande Valley FC Toros - Sacramento Republic FC
- More Late Magic Gives Indy Eleven 2-0 Victory over Loudoun United FC - Indy Eleven
- Red Hot Fury FC Wins 4-0 on a Steamy Night at TD Place - Ottawa Fury FC
- Loudoun United Fall 2-0 on the Road against Indy Eleven - Loudoun United
- North Carolina FC Narrowly Defeated 1-0 in Pittsburgh - North Carolina FC
- Fresno FC vs. Portland Timbers 2 Preview - Fresno FC
- Orange County Opens Homestand against San Antonio FC - Orange County SC
- Preview: Hartford Looks to Start Dillon Stadium Win Streak - Hartford Athletic
- Hartford Falls in Heartbreaking Fashion - Hartford Athletic
- Marini Beats Hartford in Thrilling Second Half - Charleston Battery
- Game Day: LouCity Hosts Bethlehem Steel - Louisville City FC
- MLS, Liga MX Release Details for Leagues Cup - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Take on Louisville City FC Tonight - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Phoenix Rising Improves to 12-0-0 on $1 Beer Night in Front of Record Crowd - Phoenix Rising FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Monarchs SLC Stories
- Real Monarchs SLC Starts Three-Game Road Stretch Tuesday at Tacoma Defiance
- Real Monarchs SLC Dismantles Portland Timbers 2, 5-1
- Real Monarchs SLC Hosts Portland Timbers 2 Saturday in Pivotal Western Conference Clash
- Real Monarchs SLC Drops 3-1 Result to LA Galaxy II
- Real Monarchs SLC Visits California to Face LA Galaxy II on Saturday